Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Monday 4th July 11 - Salta, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 6 July 2011 | Views [634] | Comments [3]

As we enjoy our well deserved lunch outside a nice pastry place, we see alL these Gaucho´s(sort of south American Cowboys) pass us. We decide to go and figure out what there up to. it turns out we arrived just in time to join in the parade of the Virgin. That´s about as much as people can explain to us, but it is really impressive to see all those people in procession behind a shrine of the Virgin Mary, and behind them some 500 Gaucho`s on horses coming to honour her. The Gaucho´s are all very typically dressed and have these leg protectors on there saddles which make the horses look like they have wings. We are told they live in the surrounding area of Salta and some have to ride over 4 hours to get there. This is nothing yet compared to the 17 of July we´re told as then all the Gaucho´s of South America ride to Salta to honour the day General Gumeus died(he fought for the independence of Argentina with the Spanish in 1826 if i´m correct). The Argentina people are very proud of their nation, you can tell.

Despite that we see enormous lines for the petrol stations as our driver tells us is caused by a shortage of fuel. he brings us to his ranch for a trek through the mountains on horses. We get some spirity horses, which is a lot better than the slow grandpa i had the other time. But this one is the most speedy of the group and likes to compete with Grom´s horse, which ends in a terrifying race where my horse fly´s straight through the stream in order to get home faster than the other horses. Thank God it´s a wester saddle and i could hold on well enough. Grom was wearing his jeans, which resulted in mising skin on his legs, but hey, we had a great time. With a mexican TV crew shooting a show on the ranch at the same time and a big barbecue in between treks on the ranch. What a life and a great way to see the surrondings.

 

Comments

1

what a beautiful pictures of the falls I can amazine you liked that very much. the trip you are making s very interesting and you do a lot of amazing activities. Go for it, for the rest of your lifes you wouldn't forget.
Loes you sent us a e-mail in wich yoy told us it's difficult to put new messenges on the blog. you are in Bolivia now and tomorrow you are going to have a jeep-trecking for 4 days with an australian couple, sounds nice. by doing several horsetrecking you almost become cowboys aren't you? next weekend you will try to cross the border between bolivia and Chili. we wil wait for new messenges and adventures. Have a very good time and enjoy yourselves. I'm prout off the two of you.
lots of love mm

  jolanda Jul 9, 2011 6:01 PM

2

Hey,

I just read a lot of your previous stories. You write so many stories that I can barely keep up with you. Your adventures sounds great and it's funny to read about them. Especially the part about the light giving part of Grahams body which you did not want to mention. I still keep on trying not visualize that.

-xxx-

  Sien Jul 10, 2011 9:25 PM

3

hallo,
the chili winter is in the news in holland ; a dutch family (or perhaps from swiss) is stuck in the snow near the border from boliva to chili ; temperature minus 20 and rescue helicopter not allowed to fly.
byby

  ko Jul 12, 2011 4:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.