Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

August 6, t+111

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 6 August 2012 | Views [437]

Paul has arrived and it's helped tremendously. Still not exactly sure what his job description and my job description are. We don't communicate like Matt and I do, but we are learning about each other slowly and he's certainly a go-getter so in the end it's all good.
I'm trying to get a handle on some of the items that need attention but it just seems like everything needs attention. The budget needs attention, the employee moral needs attention, the schedule needs attention, inventory needs attention. I'm learning to let go of some of the stuff - it's helpful now that I've begun formal meetings once per week with my department heads. We only just began but already I am enjoying a clearer head because I don't feel so compelled to keep track of what they are up to during the week.
Filipino thought processes are still confusing to me. Just can't quite seem to figure them out. I talked with the foremen and they were talking about creating teams within the work force to bring lower skilled masons up to speed. The next week they have abandoned the idea and are advocating firing people. Two weeks later they are saying they would rather see all the guys come thru the project together as they've put so much effort into the build. And now I hear from an outside source that they really do think there should be firings, but they assumed I didn't want to do that and so were trying to play the party line. Very confusing.
The mountain bike is purchased and I've gone on a couple of rides. Had to spend some time last night adjusting the shifters but I think I've got them fairly well sorted out. Still drags some in a couple of gear combinations but I just have to learn to avoid those combos and all will be dandy. It feels like I need to go on another break but I'm pretty sure I just got back from one. That may be a bad sign. lol
I got my care package from mom 2 days ago. I'm now enjoying peets coffee again, and a couple of other 'must have' items. Thankfully there are not many of those items for the price of delivery was very high. If I'd have really been thinking ahead I would have gotten meds sent on that trip. On the other hand, I think I will have those delivered by mule - much cheaper and safer.

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.