Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

Wed June 6, t+54

HAITI | Wednesday, 6 June 2012 | Views [398]

Uh oh! My visa is up in 5 days. Crud. Can't fly away right now so I have but one choice: go to the visa office and pay them money to let me overstay my welcome. Was really hoping to take the opportunity to fly to Vietnam and figure out how to go see Scooter's soccer field. Guess that will have to wait until a break later in the timeline.

So Matt is officially leaving the project and returning home. Can't blame a guy for being in love. But he will be missed. No doubt on that mark.

On the other hand, it means I get to move up and take over for Matt! Now that I'm looking forward to. Mostly excitement, but also some trepidation. I'm fine on the construction side of things. Managing the people and the work flow and so on. It's the 'upper crust' stuff I'm nervous about. The relationship building with other key people in the whole arena up at the site such as the City Engineer, Habitat Site Supervisor, Habitat Logistician, key players in our supply chain: them thar sorta people.

AND, I need to delegate more of the stuff I'm doing on the construction side which is really quite difficult to let go of. grr.

The road and the site in the Mahogany Forest is pretty much all leveled and the city is working on building roads back in the core of the project so they are not paying our road much attention. The fallout is that we are trashing our vehicles trying to get materials and tools and personnel out to the site each day. The rains held off for a week but we weren't yet going full tilt out there since the city had yet to give us the green light. Now the rains are back and we are suffering for it...or rather our vehicles and efficiency is suffering. Additionally, since the city is overloaded we are out there doing much of the land clearing - further evidence of the cart being before the horse. And we soldier on, regardless.

Sorry...just got sidetracked: Gary Jaehne, a riding and racing buddy died out on the road doing what he loved best: riding his motorcycle. Just stunned. And I can't be there for the Memorial. This sucks. I'm going to bed.

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.