Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+65

HAITI | Monday, 18 April 2011 | Views [445] | Comments [9]


Note: some bad words in this entry.

Wow, talk about a day of massive mood swings: the culmination of Jiella's months of preparation became reality today when we opened a new soccer field complete with hand built bleachers and freshly welded goals with nets and all the fixin's. To celebrate we hosted a 9 team tournament, including a our own ragtag team. The team that beat our team in PK's went on to win the tournament.

And tonight we had our 3rd breakin on the base where locals came onto the roof and slashed multiple tents. Tonight their take was high: cash, cameras, ipods, wallets from many different tents.

So. There's a part of me that says "Fuck'em - I'm buying a plane ticket outta here tomorrow. Let the fuckers rot in their stink. Set fire to the fucking place and walk away."

I know that's harsh. I know that's a knee jerk (emphasis on 'jerk' perhaps?) reaction. I know I'm letting the actions of a very few color my perception of Haiti as a whole. I know WE should have done more to mitigate the weakness in our perimeter/guards/security.

Yet none of that removes that basic reaction: the pricks are stealing from us while we are here giving all we can to help them rebuild and regroup after the devastation of a terrible earthquake.

Furthermore I know that the best thing I can do to prevent this from happening again in future generations is to go on building schools. That's the best bet hand down.

Earlier this week one of our volunteers was accused of being a racist - and others of us have been accused of that as well. Yeah, I'm a racist: that's why I left my job, my life, my loved ones, my friends, my dog, sold most of my belongings and put the rest in a storage locker to spend all the money I could gather from the sale of said belongings and whatever folks were willing to donate to me to come down here and spend a year helping you get your feet back on the ground.

Yeup - it makes perfect sense that a racist like me would do something like that. Because I'm such a cold hearted hateful prick.

I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I really didn't think it was gonna be this hard.

I'm really struggling to find the gumption to go out on site tomorrow in the face of what's happened. And I just got back from break. This is NOT good.

This is supposed to have been a POSITIVE experience but right now I'm struggling to find that sense. Help?

grr.

Comments

1

Hang in there Mikey. This to shall pass. You are doing great work and you know it. It is just a temporary fuck shit stack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQU22Ttpwc

  Lucien Apr 18, 2011 6:06 AM

2

Well, look at it this way Mikey - the same kind of crap happens here in the good ol' US of A - we had a rash of home break-ins right in my neighborhood over the last few months. They finally caught the bastards but it sure leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know that that stuff happens even in one of the safest cities in the US. So, like you yourself said - don't let the stupid acts of a few spoil your opinion of the majority. Hang in there brother. Love ya!

  Mark White Apr 18, 2011 7:06 AM

3

Desperate people, not seeing the forest for the trees. Don't let em get to ya'

  Nick Apr 18, 2011 12:09 PM

4

It is really the pits but you have to keep it in perspective (I know - easy for me to say). Those perpetrators are not the ones you are there to help. Try to focus on the ones you are there for.

It is not much different anywhere. There are radical groups that do outrageous things to get attention. It happens here in the USA as well. You wouldn't blow off America just because a group of idiots trashed your place and although Haiti isn't the same as America, you don't want to write it off for that reason either. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water! Hang in there and remember you are doing great things and there are a lot of people (the right ones) who admire and appreciate it.

The Godfather :-)

  Jim Apr 18, 2011 11:33 PM

5

I would echo everybody above. But let me submit a slightly different take: Don't miss the trees for the forest. There are individual bad actors EVERYWHERE (dude, come on, you're from Oakland...). What gets us in trouble is the concept of "they". "They" don't exist. You just can't legitimately make a generalization about any group of people. Are you helping all Haitians, or Haitian kids, or Haitian kids that want an education, and whose parents can/can't afford to send them to school, or who smile at you and don't flip you off or throw rocks, or play soccer and don't steal? Or, or, or... You can reduce it infinitely down to nothing. There is no "they" that you can really talk. Here's a radical idea: don't do it for them, do it for yourself.

Best bumper sticker in the world: "There's no justice, there's just us..."

All that said, I know what an ABSOLUTE FRIGGIN OUTRAGE it is to get robbed. Grrrr, indeed. Hang in there brother. JD

  jon Apr 19, 2011 2:09 AM

6

Mikey... I hope this doesn't sound like an armchair or ivory tower comment. I'm not there (was thinking of you a couple weeks ago as I flew over Haiti on my way from Miami to San Jose, Costa Rica), so I can only give a bit of my spoiled rotten perspective.

When things like this happen to me, it almost always shocks me out of my 'ideas' of what I'm here for and what my purpose is--and puts me face to face with the REAL reasons I'm here.

Maybe the answer isn't as simple as you 'being there for Haiti'? Maybe there are deeper reasons you are doing what you are -- and this is an opportunity to become conscious of them!

Love ya bruddah.

Fish

  Fish Apr 19, 2011 9:24 AM

7

So my first question would be....why are people keeping that stuff in their tents? That's what the LOCKERS are for!!! The lockers were put in because stuff gets STOLEN. that's just how it is, unfortunately. And stolen anywhere and everywhere. (one of my favorite places was Peru, where they said that they weren't responsible for anything that was stolen from your room. If you had valuables, carry them or put them in in the locked room...theft was so endemic there). And when people break in and FIND valuable stuff...guaranteed, they will be back.

in a life career of social work: i guess you do the good work, the right thing, and the good feelings come from you. But yeah, sadly the people you are helping are not always grateful (or even cognizant).
But you, my friend, are an amazing person ( and yes, a grown-up)...I hope this trite nastyness doesn't keep you down for too long. big hug

  Elizabeth Apr 19, 2011 10:23 AM

8

Michael - great to read what you're doing in Haiti, and FISH said it best. Figure out the deeper reason (or, I've heard it said..."powerful reasons why-PRWs") and stay focused on those. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

<3 Kiko & John

  Kiko & John Apr 24, 2011 4:14 AM

9

Hey there-
Wow, so f*d up about the theft. It's amazing how depraved people can get. The thieves no doubt view you, all the volunteers, all Haitians, and all everybody as targets. These would be the same kind of individuals who would steal from a hospital, or Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama, you name it. It's true that there are people like that all over the globe, at every economic level. Some people steal cash and cameras, other people steal entire countries or the pensions of thousands. I often wonder whether the bad that people do outweighs the good that people do. However, I have to conclude that the good actually outweighs the bad. The bad gets more press, though. Also gets the old back up.
Anyway, you are awesome, and I do think that you are in Haiti for many reasons, including helping many Haitians. I know we all respect you for the hard work that you're doing! Also, I have to tell you, on a completely different topic, that there is a little boy at Stanley's pre-school who looks SO MUCH LIKE YOU! I'm sure everyone can just imagine how adorable you were as a 4-year-old. His name is Ronan, and he's very loving and energetic, like certain other people I know. Nudge nudge, wink wink. So keep fighting the good fight Michael! You are in all of our thoughts. Night night!

  Jill Apr 29, 2011 3:52 PM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.