Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+10 - OR - Much Ado About Nothing - skip if you wish

HAITI | Sunday, 20 February 2011 | Views [237] | Comments [1]

Not a normal entry, but had to share my frustration with someone and I'm NOT willing to give any more info to Microshit than they already have on me. So I wanted to see if Microshit Project was being made available for Mac. The short answer: no. Found a BBS (Bulletin Board System - 'old school' name for a Forum) that posed the question and one fellow an apparent bigwig at the forum tech site answered saying 'no, but there is a way to access Project from a mac - follow this link'. Alright, I'll bite - go to the link. Here's what he proposes:

"While Office Project Professional and Microsoft Office Project Web Access are not supported in a Macintosh operating environment, Microsoft provides two options for those wanting to access a Project Web Access site or use the Office Project Professional client.
      The first option is to use Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac (only available for machines with PowerPC processors) and install a Windows-based operating system that will support both Project and Project Web Access. Information on Virtual PC for Mac can be found at the Microsoft Mactopia site.
      The second supported option which works on both Intel and PowerPC based Mac machines is to download the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, which allows you to connect your Macintosh computer to a Windows-based computer or to multiple Windows-based computers. Once connected, you can use Windows Internet Explorer on the remote computer to connect to a Project Web Access site, or you can use a local client copy of Project Professional (if installed). The download for Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads."
      
NOW, pardon me if this is not making sense, BUT: If I want to run Project on my Mac and it's not native to Mac, then the only way to run it is to use a windows software emulator such as VirtualPC and then run Project, or buy one of the lovely Intel based Macs and run Project on that (since that's effectively both a Mac and a PC). SO, why this long winded and convoluted answer from a tech savy person? And why use Project Web Access/Project Professional/Internet Exploder/Microsoft Desktop Connection Client for Mac bloatware money sucking list of applications?

The simple answer is: on a pre-intel Mac, run VirtualPC or the like and you can run Project just fine. OR, get an Intel Mac, install proper PC OS, and run Project. Period. No need for the web interface, blah blah blah crud. Another reason Mac's are better: simple answers.

Where is this all leading? I have to start using Project in my new position here in Haiti. Love my Powerbook G4 - she's been and still is a great machine, but rather starting to pine for a MacBookPro.

Comments

1

Unfortunately I cannot affort a Mac. Any other Ideas???

  Mom Feb 23, 2011 3:05 PM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.