Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+25 continued

HAITI | Thursday, 29 July 2010 | Views [320] | Comments [5]

You'll never ever in a gazzilion years guess what happened last night! I'm on a mandatory 'mental health break' from HODR base of operations, so new friend Tom and I hop on a motorcycle and go over the mountains to Jacmal. We end up staying the night in Hotel Cyvadier on the coast. I am responding to some emails and 2 Americans come by with a few paintings they just bought up the road. I kid them that they better not have bought the one I was eyeing. We get to talking for a moment and I ask if I will see them at dinner tonight. They are not staying at the hotel but just here for dinner and I and Tom are welcome to join them. We show up at dinner and they've got a full table of folk. Great wonderful and meaningful conversation ensues about Haiti, 'back home', etc. A few of them are from California and one is even from the Glenview district along Park Boulevard and remembers the Diggery Inn! As dinner winds down, most walk back to their base nearby. One gal stays and Tom and I get to talking with her more. We are talking about the Bay Area. She's a teacher. She loves driving Redwood Road. Hmmmm...She teaches at CVSH....double hmmm...my folks live there, I grew up there but can't remember the name of the street but describe in detail to her the stores on the corner etc. "Forest Avenue", she says. She gets curious and asks my last name. Leister. "Oh shit, are you ready for this??? I know the Gomes Family - went to school with Monica - she's my best friend!", she says. "Monica told me you were down here and was going to find out where so we could meet"....check, been there, done that!!!! hahahahahahahaha UNNNNREAL!

Comments

1

Small world and all that. It never fails, you think you're traveling far, far away from home and always... a piece of it jumps out and finds you there. :)

But in regards to the traffic tails (good job on scoring the bike btw), I just want to know how many of those Tap-Tap drivers are scarfing down Big Macs & texting on their cell phones while driving? ;)

  Doug N. Jul 30, 2010 9:57 AM

2

I still can't believe it....but knowing Kelly I am sure she was friendly and willing to chat for hours!! Hope you enjoy your R&R....hugs! Monica

  Monica Stoffer Jul 30, 2010 11:31 AM

3

Wow, that's some story! What are the odds? I'm so glad you're having a good break. Be careful out on the roads, that sounds pretty treacherous.

  Mark Jul 30, 2010 12:37 PM

4

Does this remind you of another time in Oregon? "By 11am we were outward bound and down - two grown men with two overnight bags lashed to the back of a chinese built 125cc POS motorbike. " When you could not believe that John and I rode the 185? Sounds like fun but keep your wits about you. Love the idea of a book when you return. I have always told you that you have a great gift so keep on giving. Love you lots and take care.

  Mom Aug 1, 2010 4:26 AM

5

Wow, that's some story! What are the odds? I'm so glad you're having a good break. Be careful out on the roads, that sounds pretty treacherous.

  Mark Aug 2, 2010 10:30 AM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.