Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Oslo

NORWAY | Friday, 7 September 2007 | Views [1454] | Comments [2]

Oslo

For some reason, Oslo is very busy at the moment, and I was struggling to find accommodation, until I tried the MS Innvik B&B which had a last minute cancellation, so could fit me in.

The B&B is on a boat, which also comprises a theatre, cafe and disco. Since tonight is Brazil's national day, there's a whole program of events onboard to mark it, culminating with a concert and an after party. Since I'm staying here, apparently I get free entry to all of it, though I barely need that as I can very clearly hear the band playing from my cabin/room! You can see a live picture of the boat with along with the construction of Oslo's Opera house which is going on across the water at www.msinnvik.no

Been wandering around the city centre most of the day, doing bits and bobs including the National Museum, which had lots of impressive artworks, including (among tonnes of Munch's work) 'The Scream', which was somehow stolen from the gallery in 1994, and then recovered. Even more amazingly, a different version of the painting was stolen from the Munchmuseet along the road in 2004, and was also recovered.

By the way, I think the Scottish word 'Bairn' must come from Norwegian...

Here's a guy playing 'Imagine' on wine glasses, in two part harmony. Quite impressive, but if only he'd chosen a more imaginative song, I might have given him some NOKs.

Back to the subject of prices, I had a Subway (my first foray into fast food that's available in the UK), and for a half foot BMT, I paid just over £5! No sign of Gap here though, H&M seem to have the market fully covered, and I've not yet seen a Starbucks. Tonnes of McDonadls and Burger Kings though.

This evening there was some kind of big bikers gathering, and they gathered to be addressed outside the City Hall, then revved up and meandered around the town. Having seen some of them up close, I think many are closely related to the vikings!


Little and large:

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hello mate, sorry we couldn't get up to Scotland before you left, have a great time and keep up with the blog, I can always find time to read it, it sure beats work!

All the best

  Baz Sep 8, 2007 9:11 PM

2

Hey George!
Meant to call you for ages...
Love your pictures and everything seems so interesting!
Keep us posted.

Enjoy.

XXX

  Alessia Sep 9, 2007 3:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.