Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Counting down . . .

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [1113] | Comments [6]

Test picture / finished painting the flat

Test picture / finished painting the flat

Hello!

This is really just a test post & picture, as I've not actually left Edinburgh yet.

Got just one week left at work, and then just over a fortnight in Scotland before I hit the road, getting the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen (Norway) on 31st August. So for once I'll have some time to be in Edinburgh during the festival without pesky work getting in the way!

Just about finished painting the flat, but still got lots of moving furniture, putting up curtains, etc etc to do...

In terms of where I'm going, I've only really got a definite plan as far as Beijing, since that's where the Trans-Mongolian (aka Trans-Siberian, but that actually goes to Vladivostok) rail part ends. Beyond that, the plan is to get overland from Scotland to Hong Kong, fly to Bangkok where I'm meeting Nicole and Dom in late November, then down through Malaysia to Singapore, and on to New Zealand to stay with Jules (sister) and and her increasing family, Australia then India on the way back. Probably with some other bits thrown in too.

So on the way to Beijing, my plan is: Norway->Sweden->Finland->Russia->Mongolia->China

I start on the train on 21st September, and get off for a few days at Lake Baikal and also Ulannbaatar, which will hopefully be a pleasant break from being cooped up with three strangers in a 'kupe' sleeper compartment on the train. Scheduled to arrive in Beijing on 5th Oct.

Of course, all this is dependant on getting the right visas and everything, they're currently away to the Russian, Chinese and Mongolian embassies, so fingers crossed there!

Tags: The Planning Phase

Comments

1

Be you stopping in Kazakstan aiiiiiiiiiiiii?

  The Legend of Snedwan Aug 6, 2007 7:17 PM

2

Hello mate, all sounds great, wish I could be doing the same! Are you down south at any point before your departure?? If so give us a bell, be great to catch up before you go. If not have an amazing time and keep in touch blah blah blah

  Richard Aug 7, 2007 6:41 AM

3

Hey, you, slothy man - thats a week since you left Scotland and no update. Have you spent all your dosh on scandi beer?

  Kevin Clements Sep 7, 2007 1:50 AM

4

Easy now, it's coming... only just now staying at a place that has wifi nearby. So lots of updates on the way.

  George Sep 7, 2007 2:09 AM

5

Hey, who was impersonating me in number 3? Lee Walker perchance? I can understand wanting to be me, but come up with something better than that. Plus anyone who knows the pedant that be me also knows that I wouldn't miss out the apostrophe in that's.

  Murdoch (the real Kevin Clements) Sep 9, 2007 6:54 PM

6

Did you happen to bump into Henrik Larsson in Sweden by any chance??? Be sure to worship at any shrine you see of him!!

  Julie Crainie Sep 16, 2007 5:08 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.