Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Too quickly thru Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 19 December 2007 | Views [3818] | Comments [2]

Langkawi

Arriving in the dark from the Koh Lipe ferry, when I found a taxi I was a bit suspicious of the driver's claims that almost every bed on the island was full. Lankawi is right up in the north west of the peninsular part of Malaysia, and for some reason enjoys duty free status. It's a popular holiday spot for affluent Malaysians, and all very nicely manicured. That didn't stop the taxi - doing about 60mph on a smooth dual carriageway in the dark - from hitting a fairly large, dead dog, square on! The driver just said "DOG" and slowed for a bit until he was happy that there was still air in all the tyres.

But arriving at the place I'd planned to stay, it turned out that he was right about the lack of rooms - they were full, knew of nowhere empty, and just said "good luck, I hope you can find somewhere"!

Eventually I did, but not quite in the price bracket I was after - the Frangipani Eco Resort cost just over ten times more per night than where I stayed on Koh Lipe, but it was at least ten times more pleasant!


Anyway, all the busyness on the island was down to the fact that Malaysia's huge and prestigious every-other-year (what's the word for that?), arms trade show was in full swing - I'd thought that something was up when I saw all the warships dotted around the island as we sailed in!

The next day, the trade fair was open to the public with a huge air show to draw in the crowds, so I decided to brave the searing heat on the airport runway, and joined the crowds to see the #1 attraction, the good old Red Arrows from Blighty!


Having not seen them since I was a little boy, the mixture of the excellent and crisp build up from the RAF officer on the tannoy, then the awesome spectacle of the nine hawks thundering around, weaving impossible looking shapes followed by red, white and blue smoke trails got my national pride going, as did the shouts of amazement from the Malaysian public and miscellaneous arms dealers.

Nothing that followed them was anywhere near as good, but the sudden ear splitting roar of three Malaysian F18s coming down close over the crowd from behind, afterburners blazing at what must have been near-supersonic speed scared the living daylights out of me, with some people in the crowd around me screaming and ducking before they knew what was going on. The intimidating manoeuvres gave some inkling of how terrifying these jets must be when they're used for what their made for. Later in the hotel, a Swiss arms trader told me that the F18s' display, and several of the other demonstrations were widely considered to be highly dangerous, using manoeuvres over and towards the crowds that have long been illegal in most countries. I can see why!

But otherwise the air show was very slick and professional, until it finished in the only appropriate way - the PA system was cranked up to 11, and the Top Gun theme tune blasted across the runways!

Much of the rest of the hotel I stayed in was occupied by the Red Arrows crew, but not the pilots and other officers, who were in a posher resort. They were a good laugh in the bar later on, and filled me in on the mechanics of how it's decided where they do shows, and who pays for it (Rolls Royce and BAE pay most of the expenses as it helps them sell their stuff to the foreign governments).

Cameron Highlands

Getting from Langkawi to Cameron Highlands was a mission, since there was a mass exodus at the end of the arms fair, and school holidays had just begun. It involved a very early start, many different forms of transport (ferry, coach, taxi, minibus etc) and several hours of waiting around in a city called Ipoh. But once I did get to Cameron Highlands, it was completely different from Langkawi.

lots of legs!

Being at almost 2000m, it's cool by Malaysian standards, but still warm enough for shorts and t-shirts in mid-winter. Warm enough, but hardly dry - it rained for most of each day I was there, but I suppose you can't have rainforests without lots of rain! It was also the first place in almost three weeks where I wore anything other than flip-flops on my feet.

Carnivorous plants

Met some great people there, and we went exploring the jungle and tea plantations. Lots of tea is grown in the Cameron Highlands, almost all owned by a company called Boh (nothing to do with Ali G or Avid Merrion apparently!), set up in the 1920s by a Scotsman called JA Russel, whose family still own and run the company. It's still the #1 tea brand in Malaysia, unlike everywhere else I've visited, where the only tea drunk seems to be Lipton's Yellow Label!


Anyway, did you know that black tea, green tea and white tea all come from the same plant? I didn't. Plenty other stuff is grown in the area too, including lots of strawberries and other fruits, acres of orchids and tonnes of other flowers, cacti, chives, lettuce, tomatoes etc. It seems that anything you plant in the ground will grow fast and well.

Some of the growers have installed high power lighting systems across huge areas of polytunneled fields for 24 hour growing, giving a bizarre Spielberg-ish glow to the mountains at night.

Cameron Highlands boasts the highest concentration of Land Rovers per capita in the world. Surely not long before some parts of central London can take the top spot!

We also went to visit an Orang Asli ("Original People") tribal village in the jungle, and tried our skills with a blowpipe. Our arrows weren't tipped in poison, but we used a proper blowpipe, about a metre and a half long, and all managed to pierce clean through a flip flop, several metres away. They gave us some delicious food from the jungle, and our guide, who'd lived in the village when he was younger, showed us all sorts of medicinal plants, including a tiny flower which properly anaesthetised your tongue for about 15 minutes.

As we left the village in our Land Rover via the soaked and slippery mud road, the regular medical team for the Orang Asli tribes were totally stuck in their lesser vehicle, and a bunch of children from the village eventually managed to help push them out. As we drove off, a group of young boys gave us sweet smiles and waves to warm the hearts of all us Westerners. But then once we'd passed, and they didn't realise that two of us were in the back of the Land Rover and could still see them, the smiles turned to grimaces and they showered us with obscene gestures!


Kuala Lumpur

Then on to Kuala Lumpur, which I still refuse to call 'KL', because the oh-so-cool people who consider themselves 'Proper Travellers' annoy me when someone asks 'So what did you think of Kuala Lumpur?' and they reply with something like "I'm a big fan of " <pause for effect> "KL. Blah blah blah"


Unfortunately, it rained most of my time there, but - as well as Christmas and other shopping - I got about using the monorail (not as good as Bangkok's Skytrain, but still pretty good) and went to the Chinatown markets and the Petronas Towers, which are very impressive up close. But from the other side of the city, you get an idea of how ridiculously tall they are, since from a distance it becomes clear that the other nearby skyscrapers aren't anything like as tall.

As with most places I've been since I started, the historical influence of the British is clear, and in Malaysia one of the many changes the British made was to introduce large numbers of Indians and Chinese to the population, so the country's an interesting mixture of original Malay, Indian and Chinese people, languages, cultures cuisines and everything. But what made it dead easy for me was that almost everyone spoke English!

Almost forgot - on Langkawi I caught a penguin, and forced him to pose with me!....

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

It's biennial.

  Will Dec 21, 2007 1:15 AM

2

Yep, biennial. Like Will said.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/biennial

  Johnnie Walker Dec 21, 2007 11:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.