Existing Member?

George and Dion's Great Adventures Follow us on our travels around the world and where ever they may take us, from New Zealand to afar.

I took a trip to Eildon.

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 25 July 2010 | Views [886]

Lake Eildon

Lake Eildon

So while Dion is away in chilly Chile I thought it was only fare to go on my own adventure! So I headed over to OZ (1st time ever... I think its because it's so close that I'v never been there) to check out a potential area for us to move to when Dion gets back from Chile. 

I arrived at Melbourne and got picked up along with 3 other people. We had to drive for 2 hours to get out to Eildon which is NE of Melbourne. On the way we drove though the areas which were affected but the Vic Bush fires back in 2009. The damage that it has caused is unbelievable but amazingly the trees are trying to grow back! The little towns that were burnt down have started to be built up again and since there is heaps of water around the lakes, rivers and ponds are fullish. 

After a weekend of looking around Eildon and Alex it was time to start the hard work! 7 days later we had been hiking through the forests (glad the snakes and spiders where all sleeping) camping in the poring rain, and eating amazing camp food, playing on the high ropes and swimming in icy cold water! It was pretty neat to see how different companies work and to meet new people from around the world..... out of 6 of us there was only 1 Aussie!! 

It was super cool to wake up to the kookaburras laughing at you and see the kangaroos hopping around outside the staff houses. And even better that the land was green, is hard to think that the locals have not see anything like it for years!

So we ended our week with a good hearty pub dinner and a few beers at the one and only local pub! Was a great fortnight in OZ and I'm keen to explore more of the country.

Until then its work, study and skiing for me :)

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.