Existing Member?

George and Dion's Great Adventures Follow us on our travels around the world and where ever they may take us, from New Zealand to afar.

Its been a good week.

CHINA | Tuesday, 22 December 2009 | Views [489]

Dion  and Vivian trying to entertain us.

Dion and Vivian trying to entertain us.

We have had a good week being productive. We went out kayaking (as staff training) to check out our route that we take clients on. Unfortunitly it is not as nice as it should be. The ocean here has been 'raped' as one of the guys like to say. The coral has all died so has no colour in it and the fish are few and far between. Kind of sad  but I know the Locals think nothing of it. The spot where we go snorkling had about 20 other boats around and they had taken over the land behind the beach for their BBQ spot. This is all cool except for their beer fence they are making and all the rubbish they just leave lying on the ground. Maybe they think that after there is a storm someone has cleaned it up! who knows. So anyway it was good to get out and do something although its not the prettiest in the world.

So then the next day was mountain biking.... well no you can't call it mountain biking if you are on a road... so biking. This went though the village of Binglang which used to be super poor and every year had massive floods. So the government decided to change this by changing the course of the river!! (Guess you have to do things properly)The village now is called an Eco village and is set up for tourists. The roads are all paved and as in the photos picket fences everywhere. Its kind of beautiful in its own weird way. It was nice though to chat to the locals (well our Chinese staff would!)and find out how they lived/worked and play. All in all this was a pretty cool little cruise and was nice to be back on a bike.

Its been good to be able to get out and explore the area a little. There is lots more to explore but it is also hard as soooo much of the land is army owned so we cant explore to find nice hikes or anything. On the hill behind us there are massive canons pointing out to sea. There is even a submarine center not far from where we go surfing.

Well that's about it for now. We still haven't hit the super busy tourist rush that the boss was hoping for but its hard when our products are so so. In the meantime the sun is shinning and the weather is good so we're happy... AND its almost Chirstmas (not that you would know really) The Brits that live here are all wanting to go home as its been snowing! crazy I say.

So Merry Chirstmas to you all... 3 days to go.... and will keep you informed as to how our day pans out. (Don't think we will do much, maybe a BBQ on the beach and beers)

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.