Existing Member?

Quest

Blowing into a small town...

CANADA | Monday, 9 June 2008 | Views [683]

We arrived in Winlaw with all of our luggage in tow, knowing that Caroline would be taking her friend to the bus for 11:10 a.m. The town is tiny, but it does have a wonderful organic food store with a cafe attached. We walked into the cafe, with all our luggage, and three friends who were enjoying a visit, could not help but notice. Finally, one of them, a very tall young man in a hat, pronounced appropriately in a loud, ringing voice "Welcome!" It was hilarious, and eventually, I went over to take his picture for this blog, and we landed up meeting some very nice people. Other than that, we drank herbal tea, and used the internet, and before we knew it, Caroline was there. We shopped together and then made our way back to her place for a whirlwind of getting settled and oriented as she was heading off the very next day at 6:30 a.m. Fortunately, though, she has a caretaker who could show us any of the ropes that we might have missed. A perfect set up really. Interestingly, as we waited for the bus with Mike, he began to tell us about the history of the Dukhabours and Caroline lives on a former Dukhabour farm, and her caretaker, a really great guy named Ken, is a descendant of the Dukhabours, actually the radical branch known as the Freedom Fighters, and he spent part of his childhood camped out outside of the jail.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.