Existing Member?

Quest

Cascade Verde, Uvita

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 2 January 2008 | Views [1129]

Uvita is just past Dominical which is a surfer town. Both towns border the Pacific Ocean. On the bus on the way out, we noticed Finca Ipe (the organic farm which provided the original inspiration for Costa Rica as our travel destination). After we got off the bus at Uvita, we took a while to get oriented, and then we took the long walk uphill with our luggage. Anyone in their right mind would have taken a taxi -- they're not even expensive! But, the sight that greeted our eyes was that much sweeter after the climb.

We went down to Uvita to buy food at the local supermarket, and while surveying the bread (and discussing our options), we met Nick who gave us some firsthand advice about the bread and turned out to be one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. A young New Yorker in Costa Rica, Nick had been in Costa Rica for 3 years and was tempted to return to North America because he is a guitarist and missed the music scene. Nick had been to both Cascade Verde and Finca AMRTA, and though he had been disappointed with CV because it was not quite as advertised on the website -- the organic gardens having fallen into disuse, he recommended Finca AMRTA highly. With Nick, we checked out the organic farmer's market in Dominical, had a tour of Finca Carolina where Nick had once lived and worked, and also received a ride to Finca AMRTA after stopping for lunch in San Isidro. Nick has been managing www.villaselbosque.com, and we also enjoyed meeting his longtime friend, Lindsay.

We stayed at Cascade Verde, right near a beautiful waterfall as its name implies, for a week. It was hot and muggy -- particularly in the morning when we woke up and everything felt ever so slightly damp. The place was beautiful. Have a look at the pictures. We stayed for 6 nights the 2nd through to the 7th of January. We met many more people than we photographed, but would like to mention the fine coversations we had with Mathieu, a young person from France who was wwoofing at Cascade Verde.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.