Existing Member?

Quest

Bart & Lynda

CANADA | Sunday, 11 November 2007 | Views [508]

We had an outstanding day, yesterday. After performing very few duties on the farm yesterday and fuelling up with food, we headed out to the road to walk towards our meeting time and place with Bart and Lynda. Bart is Dave's old cycling buddy, and the four of us had spent time together on our last trip to Victoria, some 10 years ago. It was great to catch up with them. First, we checked out their adorable little house, and the great walk nearby. They live near the Gorge and that is where Lynda and I walked with their dog, Kaz, and where Dave and Bart walked, too, once they pulled themselves away from Bart's record collection in the basement. We jumped back into their '74 VW Westfalia van (third engine -- it's just a baby!) and headed downtown where we lunched at the Rebar. Thought it was organic, and it was only somewhat, but we had a fantastic waiter who patiently helped Dave and I through our orders. It was a fun lunch. After a short drive into the James Bay district, we dropped Lynda off at her 4-9 shift. From there, we went on Bart and Kaz's usual walk after dropping Lynda off, and that was a fabulous off leash dog park called Beacon Hill Park along the Juan de Fuca Strait. After walking along the walkway, we headed down to the sea and walked along its shore for the return stretch. Dave was amazed to see seaweed in its original state. Lots of driftwood there, too. From there, Bart patiently took us to grocery stores until we landed up back at the one that Janet had shown us and the best one we have seen so far: Natural Lifestyles on Douglas near Finlayson. They carry the fabulous levain bread by Boulange that we have come to rely on since we've been on the coast. We were so glad to find some good breads -- a variety, actually, of the natural sourdough whole grain type that we like, that we bought three!  Then we went back to hang out at Bart's for a while. He took us back home before picking up Lynda, and we came back to find our wwoofing family enjoying a lovely family evening with the whole family! Alberto and Dave got into an interesting discussion about breads and baking and I found myself getting drawn into the jigsaw puzzle which Janet and Rory had just started: Vincent Van Gogh's Sunflowers.

A great day it was and looking forward to some more farm work today.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.