Existing Member?

Goodman's Travels

Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Friday, 13 April 2012 | Views [1234]

Phnom Penh.

Tuesday 10th April. Picked up from Sam So Guest House in Siem Reap and taken to a bus stop that didn’t look like a bus stop. Double decker bus and looked ok. We were upstairs and the lower deck was cargo which consisted mainly of motor cycles. The highway from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh (aka the “Goat Track”) was not like any highway we’ve seen before in any country. It was narrow, pot holed and generally rough and we hit top speed at about 50kph at one stage. All manner of things on the road from cars, motor bikes, push bike, ox pulled carts, trucks, and tractors. About 30klm out of Phnom Penh, the road turned to dirt. They were building road shoulders - using concrete mixers. (oh for Readymix).

At current rate, it should be done in 20 years.

Cambodia is not a rich country and it shows. Arrive at bus depot in Phnom Penh and got our bags out of the side of the bus. Covered in red dust. Took a Tuk Tuk to our accommodation at The Royal Guest House.

Cost $3 for Tuk Tuk and we booked him for the next day for our city tour. The Royal Guest House is OK for A$15/night but unfortunately we were on the 4th floor. No lift. 68 steps. After booking in we went for a walk and found a place selling seats on a 3 day/2 night trip to Ho Chi Min City. We booked it for $60US each. Excellent value. 2 nights accommodation and travel, 2 breakfasts and 2 Mekong River cruises.

Wednesday 11th April

Our Tuk Tuk picked us up at 9.00am to start our city tour - started with The Silver Palace - huge complex - gardens and of course it was beautiful with all the silver and gold spent on it. Then we went to another Temple. Not what we actually wanted to do, we are “templed’ out but we had a look. As we were leaving a little 15y/o in a nice black uniform thought he would try and rip us off by telling us we owed $1 each to be there. Wendy politely told we had already paid and Allan told him where to go. All part of the experience.

Next to the National Museum - this was very interesting but we felt they dwelt too much on their ancient history and didn’t show much of their recent history. Then on to The Choeung Ek Genocidal Centre which is also referred to as ‘the killing fields’. We didn’t know what to expect however the Cambodians have done a wonderful job of presenting the facts as they were. Included in your meagre $5 entry fee is a personal headset with numbers for when you walk through the area. This was essential to fully appreciate the centre. The story as related by a survivor is gripping. It was very emotional, it brought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. We only took 2 photo’s, it was so moving.

 memorial Stupor at The Choeung Ek Genocidal Centre

We then went to the Russian Market, but they weren’t selling Russians that day so we then went to the Central market and bought a 2 cup kettle so we could have a cup of Nescafe when we wanted it. It was that night we also decided to ditch the blender we bought in Kuala Lumpur to make smoothies for breakfast. We used it once. Also ditched a few other things we had been lugging around since Singapore.

After the Central market we and the Tuk Tuk driver had had enough for the day. Wendy paid him A$15 plus a tip of $5. He was good value. That evening we found a café/bar that served extra cold Angkor Beer and nice meals.

A good nights sleep.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.