Existing Member?

Goodman's Travels

Siem Reap 2012

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 11 April 2012 | Views [1212]

Sunday 8th April 2012

Up before the sparrows to get taxi from Silom district in Bangkok to Mochit (pron Moechit) central bus station. Great driver - 120k in 80k zone on expressway. Got there in 20mins.

Got tickets for the 6.00am coach to Thai border at Aranyaprathet and got there at about 10.30am. Good trip. Hopped on Tuk Tuk to take us to the border crossing. The had to back pack to the Immigration & Passport/Visa control - took about half an hour, lots of people and too few staff. Then made the epic trek of about 400m backpacking across the border to the Cambodia Border Control, run by the Cambodian Police.

Wendy showed her documentation and the official pointed to her documentation, she couldn’t hear what he was saying. She emphasised the Visa in her passport was issued in Australia. It took some time to establish that he actually wanted a photo copy of the visa, not the one in her passport. Allan had copies in his backpack. When that was sorted, all good. The official was mumbling under his breath - something about stupid Australian woman….

Next we were accosted by a young bloke touting to sell a taxi to Siem Reap. He told some lies, Allan told him so and we got a free government bus to the bus station which is about 15 mins away. Got there and waited for someone else to arrive to share a taxi. They want $48US for a car so the more the cheaper. We arranged a car with another young lady when another 5 people arrived, so they then tried to arrange a mini bus for us. We agreed on the condition they only have 8 in the bus. All good. We got in the mini bus with all our luggage. They then tried to put another 5 in on top of us again. (Hadyai to Krabi memories flooded back) We said NO WAY and got our bags from the bottom of the pile and got out of the bus and said get us a taxi. Another fellow from the US said he would join us.

The air-con taxi costs $48/3 = $16US each. Took about 2 ½ hours. Got dropped at the door of our guesthouse called Sam So. Greeted by a lovely lady who called herself Mrs. Soveathy. (maybe 30yo). She was great. Made arrangements to get Tuk Tuk to see Angkor Wat by sunset. They charge $20US for a 24 hr pass to the Angkor Archaeological Park. Didn’t actually watch the sunset but got some great photo’s in the early evening sun.

Went back to Sam So guesthouse to have an ale and sort out our coming itinerary. Sam advised us about the Cambodian BBQ just across the road. It cost $3.50US for an all you can cook and eat buffet. Your cooking pot and pot of glowing coals is brought to your table and you can BBQ or boil anything you want. They had plenty of meats, fish, chicken, noodles and vegetables. A bargain. It took us a little while to get the idea of the best method to cook, but it worked well.

Monday;

Brecky supplied in the price of $7.50/head per night each. Coffee, fruit, toast egg…..great. Then Tuk Tuk to start our mini tour, commencing with Angkor Wat. It is most impressive and still has massive amounts of restoration work to be done. Climbed ’the steps’ 

thank goodness for good handrails.

As we decended down the stairs Allan looked over to the crowd and saw the Three Stooges. He said to Wendy, I don't care who they are, I want a photo with them. So Allan approached them and understood their language. You know, that Queensland drawl with an 'ay' at the end of the sentence. Apparently, the three stooges travel a bit together and have know to get lost or lose each other from time to time. S they decided to make things alittle easier and where the wigs and load clothing. Suffice to say they came from Woolangabba.

Next was to South gate and to Angkor Thom. Bayon Temple was great - again a massive restoration task ahead.

Walked to Bauphon Temple, Allan was all ‘templed and ruined’ out and stayed outside. Wendy emerged from that temple as red as a beetroot and decided she was only good for one more ruin/temple. It was 30c and 95% humidity. Then walked around Phimeanakas and then along the Terrace of Lepers, King Top Pranam, and Terrace of Elephants.

Had lunch at a tent that catered to rich westerners. Then continued the temple trek, Thommanon, Chau Say Thevoda, Ta Keo. Didn’t really do these justice - you can look at so many ruins/temples before it becomes a blur. The one temple that did take our fancy was Ta Prom. It is similar to most of the others however they don’t have trees growing yup through them. 

 

There are lots of these trees right throughout Ta Prom.

In 2007, an international team of researchers using satellite photographs and other modern techniques concluded that Angkor had been the largest pre-industrial city in the world, with an elaborate system of infrastructure connecting an urban sprawl of at least 1,000 square kilometres (390 sq mi) to the well-known temples at its core. Countries around the world assist in the restoration, we seen Czech, Japan, China and India contributions. It is believed the Angkor Archaeological area dates back to 800AD.

Went back to Sam So all hot, bothered and dripping. The Tuk Tuk breeze was great.

Stayed a little while there until the blackout happened so we went for a walk down the backstreets of the Wat Bo area of Siem Reap. The poverty and filth was there to see but so were the happy people and their laid back style of living. We seen a minor prang between two mopeds at an intersection. Both riders got up, looked at the damaged bikes, dusted themselves off and got on with life.

Later that evening we ventured to another BBQ place up the road and around the corner. it was alittle more up market, it cost $4.00US for all you can cook/eat. The $0.50 made all the difference, the quality of the food was better than the night before.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.