Existing Member?

Goodman's Travels

Hobart and day trips

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 6 April 2014 | Views [460]

Frogmore Winery

Frogmore Winery

The need to use a week’s timeshare and that we hadn’t been to Tasmania together gave us the opportunity to book into a Worldmark Time Share at Seven Mile beach on the northern outskirts of Hobart. Allan had been to Tassie on three separate occasions. The first being on a football trip about 35 years ago (no real recollections of that one) and he had been to Ulverstone (up north) twice to the Australian U/16 basketball championships where he managed the NSW state country team with Shawn McEachin. Both those trips were spent herding kids so there were no tourist activities.

So we decided to book at a time when the weather would be cool but not cold. So the first week in April 2014 seemed like a good idea. We booked the accommodation and got fairly decent air fares from Jetstar. Fly out of Newcastle to Melbourne at 6.00am. A two hour layover then into Hobart at about 11.45am. Some months earlier, we had mentioned our plans to The Horans. They indicated it was something they would like to do as well. We had booked a 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen facilities, laundry etc so we invited them to join us. We picked up a Renault Koleos at Hobart airport and found our way to Seven Mile beach.

All good first day. Brought provisions at Sorell and had a leisurely look around the district in the afternoon. The Worldmark accommodation is good. The grounds are well kept. Native flora and fauna are prevalent and the beach is a stones throw away. You couldn’t stay at Seven Mile without a vehicle. There is not much more than a general store nearby. The beach is apparently longer than seven mile but we didn’t measure it. Our first tourist day was spent walking the Salamanca markets where we decided that most things were over priced but nonetheless they are probably the best markets we’ve been to. The fresh fruit and produce was exceptional. The markets were far better than those found in The Rocks, Brisbane, Darwin or Broome that we had been to. Greg bought himself a Roger Fedora.

 

We bought some bread, cheese, tomato and ham and lunched in a park adjacent to Wrestpoint Casino. We then needed the toilets so we went to the Casino where Greg won about $350 on a quinella at Rosehill. So he paid the entrance fee to our tour of Cascade Brewery. The brewery began operations in about 1824 and in some places it shows it. The maintenance and cosmetics of the building looked sparse. It compares unfavourably to the tours we’ve done of other breweries (Speights in Dunedin NZ and TsingTao in Qingdao China)

After our brewery tour we meandered up to Mt. Wellington. A spectacular view of the very spread out Hobart. We were to go the  Female Factory but our guides for the day (the ladies) decided the men could wait. They didn’t want the men knowing what makes them tick so they took us back to home base where The Horans cooked a delicious version of Ratatouille.

 

Day two we set out to go to the Bream Creek Markets. But on the way we detoured via the Sorell Markets. These were the old fashion markets where one mans trash is normally another mans trash but there was some good items to be had. But of course buying things you don’t need on holidays and taking them home is always a problem. Allan bought an all purpose handyman’s knife which doubled as the avocado knife at lunchtime. (only to be confiscagted at the airport on the way home). There were many a local yokel there but as with everywhere in Tasssie so far, the people are just tremendous. Never come across more friendly people. All four of us agree. We travelled about 10 minutes down the road toward Port Arthur where we came across the Bream Creek farmers markets. There weren’t many stalls there but those that were all sold good quality produce. Allan and Greg tried the Lamb n Mint sausages with local made tomato relish and announced them magnificent. Greg also tried some marinated Octopus and said it was pretty nice. Wendy bought a bottle of Bream Creek Chardonnay. We didn’t stay long but it was well worth the visit. We then meandered down the road toward Port Arthur again, stopping at Eaglehawke Officers Quarters (Krissy was getting unwell in the back seat from the winding road). We then mosied on to Port Arthur, had a light lunch before going into the Gaol. It costs $35 for the day. There was a half hour cruise on which Greg, Kris and Allan all had a siesta.

We then joined a group for an introductory tour and information session with a very knowledgeable historian named Colin. He had a passion for the history of Tasmanian and delivered it very well. Port Arthur is a very worthwhile visit and it would be better to go in the morning than the afternoon. We motored back from Port Arthur to Seven Mile via the Donnalley Pub. Dunnalley is a hamlet with a fish coop without fish (except for a few kg of flathead fillets at $35/kg)

It also has a swing bridge that opens to water traffic. 

That evening the Goodman’s served up a delicious fare of Korma Lamb, Naan, Basmati Rice and Raita.

 

Monday we decided we would look at a few sights in Hobart Town. We bought tickets on the hop-on hop off bus and decided the first point of call would be the Female Factory. That is an odd name for a woman’s prison. We paid to do the ‘her story’ tour which was a very good dramatic recital of Mary James, a convicted felon in 1838.

There are three cells to a small area.

 

Two actors went through ‘her story’ of how she was convicted, how she struggled and coped with the tyranny of authority in the prison.  It showed the bastardry of the British in those days.

We then boarded the HOHO bus and went to the Museum and Art Gallery. We didn’t spend any time in the Museum but had a good look through the Art Gallery. To our liking, there were some excellent artworks however the gallery seemed to be lacking. It was less than we had expected of the capital of the Great Tasmania. We then sought out the great Tassie Scallop Pie. The Harbour Lights Café charged the princely sum of $7.80 per pie for the privilege. We all agreed they were nice but overpriced. Then it was back to the car park only to find a parking fine of $32.50 for not doing the right thing. We put it down to experience (or lack thereof). Then it was on to Richmond. Thankfully there were about 6 wineries along the route to Richmond at which we called into four. Frogmore Creek winery proved to be the best of them. We enjoyed the company of Allan Bird at Palmara winery (he is trying to sell it for $650k including a very nice house). Duck Puddle and Coal Valley wineries were friendly but not our cup of tea. Then onto our digs where Allan prepared a trio of scallops for entrée. They consisted of 3 scallops each in a recipe for white wine, one for capers n cream and one for lemon and garlic. We all agreed they were very nice and noted the cooking time needs to be monitored closely. None of the recipes used flour. Greg and the ladies then compiled a succulent meal of Grilled Tasmanian Salmon with asparagus, broccolini and roast potatoes. All was magnificent. Then the ladies challenged  the boys to another game of cribbage. On the previous two evenings, Greg and Allan had been the narrow victors. On both occasions, the boys came home with a wet sail, with the ladies only wanting a few more points. In both games the girls snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. So they thought beginners luck cannot stay with Allan. After sufficient sledging the game got under way. In this game, the boys led from start to finish. There were mutterings about Canasta and other games Allan doesn’t play.

 

Tuesday – Our fourth day into the historic Tassie Trek and we were heading south, down the Southern Outlet, the busiest road in Tasmania. Through the nucleus of the city. On down to Huonville in the Huon Valley. A very picturesque drive that saw cows, apples, Pubs, roadside stalls and more cows. A short stop at Huonville tourist centre and then on down to Franklin (nowhere near the Dam). It was at Franklin that Greg and Allan had a tour through a wooden boat building shed.

 

It was a teaching shed where people paid good money for the courses. To building a 12ft dingy from scratch (design to finish) costs about $3k plus an enormous amount of time and energy. Wherever possible they use hand tools to shape and finish the boats. Franklin was a sleepy hamlet that is in need of an injection of life and money. We then motored to Geeveston where they have a very good Heritage Centre. Greg bought himself a $10.50 lump of Huon Pine and he is going to ask a friend to turn it for him. Geeveston also has the most expensive lolly shop in the southern hemisphere. Then on to Dover for lunch and a look at the blue birds and white cliffs. The lunch was great, the birds were white and the cliffs were blue. Down onto the Southport Pub.

The southernmost pub in Australia. It was disappointing. Bland and uninteresting. However they certainly know their mathematics in Southport, apparently 1 and 1 still = 2.

We decided to come home via the cultural route. It was along the Southern Outlet we sighted how the Taswegians install child seats in Utes. That night we feasted on Salmon sausage and Blue Eye Trevalla. No Cribbage that night, the girls let their wounds heal.

 

Wednesday saw us meander north west of Seven Mile Beach to the majestic township of New Norfolf. It is so named due to the amount of people who came from Norfolk Island to settle. The township boasts many antique shops and has a very good Heritage Centre. We had coffee and cake at The Lunatic Assylum aka The Patchwork Café. We had a beer in Australia’s oldest Pub – The Bush Inn.

 

Wanting another beer (Allan and Greg at least) we decided to meander down the road to Hamilton where we found the Pub. It was closed. So we then went to Bothwell Pub where they proudly displayed Guns and fishing. The ladies were not impressed. Time to start making tracks back to Seven Mile so we quickly darted through Bagdad, avoiding landmines and sniper fire. Then into the Richmond Pub for a schooner and $1 on keno. Back into Sorell for some provisions and then home. The day went quickly. We actually went into three pubs that day. More than we had been in in the first 4 days of being is Tassie.

 

Thursday we decided to go to the Cadbury factory. Not sure why but the grandkids benefitted the most. Then onto MONA which is a short drive from Cadbury’s. A very interesting place for all to see. Greg and Kris went into the gallery whilst Allan and Wendy explored other aspects. Found a wine tasting going on upstairs near the restaurant. The Winery charged $10 for the privilege but it was well worth it. The wines weren’t to our liking. Too juch acid in most of them. But the tasting was well done and informative. After that we drove to Sandy Bay for some lunch and a look around. The lunch was ordinary fish and chips and the shopping was even less inspiring. It turned out to be a shortened lazy afternoon. We went back to Seven Mile for some quiet time. Then Kris prepared a meal of seafood Tagine which went down a treat.

Friday morning drove to Airport and got the plane home.

 

In summation, we all agreed the Taswegian people are tremendous. We all agreed we could live there. We all agreed it is a place well worth another trip with some more time to do things.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.