Existing Member?

2010 Adventures This is a journal recording my adventures as I travel from Australia to China to Europe and where ever the road leads me next.

Budapest: A Goth's paradise

HUNGARY | Saturday, 4 September 2010 | Views [2262]

When we arrived in Budapest, it felt like we had stepped directly into the beginning of winter. The city was shrouded in heavy gloom, rain sprinkled down on us and the wind howled down the darkened streets. The buildings we passed were as elaborate as the ones we had seen in Vienna, however the buildings here are blackened by dirt and frequently falling into decay. Dusty black doors and narrow openings along these darkened streets reveal poorly lit pubs, clubs and cafes, many of which are decorated in a nostalgic post-war style. There are also a lot of gargoyles and spooky looking statues of crows and tormented faces and figures. It seems to me that if vampires were to exist they would feel at home in Budapest.

The hostel we are staying at is rather arty and decorated with lots of very random and colourful things such as multi-coloured carpet attached to the walls, a huge nude painting above our bed, writing on the walls and old postcards lining the hallways. The receptionist here was really helpful and quirky and would only tell us her “artist’s name”, whatever that means. On the first day we arrived, she warned us to “stay away from the gypsies” which I thought was rather funny. Speaking of gypsies, I heard some amazing gypsy music in a cafe by Buda castle. I wish I knew what it was. It sounded so wild and chaotic but very engaging.

I think Budapest is a pretty interesting city and very cheap, though I really wouldn’t want to live here. It’s rundown in a way I am not used to and I could imagine the winters here being exceedingly miserable.

I am off to Krakow tomorrow and looking forward to getting some potato dumplings and beetroot soup there.

About eve76


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.