Existing Member?

2010 Adventures This is a journal recording my adventures as I travel from Australia to China to Europe and where ever the road leads me next.

Klagenfurt/Austria

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 29 August 2010 | Views [622]

I’ve been in Klagenfurt for the last 5 days at a camp ground by the Worthersee, which is a huge turquoise coloured lake populated by hoards of bronzed bathers on hot sunny days or populated by a hand full of ducks on gloomy, rainy days like today. The camp ground is large and has a lot of character. At times it has been filled with motor homes and children and groups of drunken German teenagers or people playing accordions and guitars. The motor homes are frequently out-fitted with too many comforts from home... satellite dishes, stained glass lamps, vases and picture frames, and even dogs and cats with their kennels and bowls. At night tiny bats circle the lamp posts and the rabbits creep from under motor homes and hop about the place. Strangely, I have noticed more and more rabbits as people have disappeared, which made me wonder if the people are magically being turned into rabbits.. hehehe.

The weather has been very changeable from hot sunny 29C days to cold and wildly stormy. On warm days, we have spent time by the lake and gone swimming (water about 23-24C yay) and even had a go on the slippery slide. We’ve also gone on long walks through the nearby forests and spent time in the old parts of Klagenfurt, which oddly reminds me of Poland. I have to say, the highlight of staying in Klagenfurt was visiting Hochosterwitz castle in nearby Launsdorf. The medieval castle stands on top of rocky outcrop and is surrounded by a mixture of forested hills and farmland. I really enjoyed exploring the castle grounds and seeing the beautiful paintings by Raphael Ramirez Maro (http://www.rafaelramirez.eu/). His style of painting is similar to what I am trying to do, so it was quite inspirational seeing his works.

In a couple of days I will be departing Austria. I have to say Austria is a very beautiful, peaceful country and if I could afford it, I would stay here. While in Austria I visited Vienna, Baden, Salzburg, Imst, Fersteinsee, Zell am See and finally Klagenfurt. There are many things I like about this country such as the numerous walking and cycling paths through forested and mountainous areas, its general safety and cleanliness, gorgeous architecture, great food, nice people and the laid back atmosphere. We have been camping for most of our time in Austria, which has been great for reducing the cost and “getting close to nature”, though there have been plenty of trials and tribulations. I have grown muscles and pulled muscles in places I was sure I had none due to contorting my body upon entering/exiting or moving about the tent. I’ve slept on a malfunctioning air mattress that left me feeling bent for days and cooked sitting in the dirt or sometimes even in our tent when it was too stormy. I’d say Tent life has involved a large percentage of muddy-smelly-dirty-noisy experiences and lots of squatting and almost falling over into mud, but it’s all a part of the adventure (so I tell myself). Our next destination will be the city of Budapest.

Tags: klagenfurt austria

 

About eve76


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.