Existing Member?

2010 Adventures This is a journal recording my adventures as I travel from Australia to China to Europe and where ever the road leads me next.

Vienna in Winter

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 30 December 2010 | Views [497]

It has been quite some time since my last post, which I wrote while in Hungary. Since then I meandered around Europe and travelled to Poland, Italy, France and back to Vienna where I am now and have been for almost 6 weeks.

Austrians have a strange twist on familiar customs. Christmas for example is a time when streets around the city are cheerfully lit- up with Christmas markets stalls. Many people gather around them drinking fruity and alcoholic punsch and eat meaty snacks and kartoffelpuffers (potato pancakes). The punsch by the way smells delicious but tastes awful. There are lots of lovely handmade gifts available at the stalls, anything from snow globes, xmas decorations to beeswax candles and heavily decorated lebkuchen (delicious ginger bread-like biscuit). The many lights, some of which are very elaborate, adorn everything, buildings, trees, sidewalks. And the pointed spires of churches and the glowing lanterns light up the otherwise dark and cold landscape. It felt rather magical seeing at these things at the Rathaus for the first time. The snow we had later was the final touch on the postcard perfect image of Christmas.

Little did I know that Christmas in Austria is not just a time for jolly old Saint Nicholas (Santa) but also for Krampus. When window shopping and gazing at chocolate gifts, I found myself frequently pondering “ what on earth is that creepy thing standing next to Santa”. Well that creepy, goblin-like creature is Krampus and it punishes children by licking them with its long tongue, putting them in barrels and scares them with its chains. Seriously.  And what kind of a parent would give their child a chocolate Krampus anyway? One that wants to instil fear and discipline and give their kids freakin’ nightmares. I can imagine them saying “Oh you have been bad my child, your’re not getting a visit from Santa this year, you’re getting a hairy, perverted devil to abuse you with rusty chains.... Stranger still, there are people particularly in southern Austria that celebrate Krampus on Dec 5th. The festivity on this day involves men dressing up like Krampus and harassing mostly young girls with their creepy get up. Sexual harassment is obviously not an issue here...

Another unexpected custom popped up the other day. I noticed that stalls started to appear here and there and they were selling pig paraphernalia ....little pig statues, pig toys, pig cakes, pig candles..what’s with the freakin pigs I thought. Apparently, it is a custom to give a person a pig for new year and it is supposed to bring a person good luck. Of course I couldn’t help myself and ended up buying a pig after the toy gazed at me with its shiny, cheerful eyes...arg, what a sucker I can be for cute things..

Christmas/New Year period is also a time when people randomly let off firecrackers and it is not uncommon to hear a big bang like someone has put a bomb in a garbage bin. I found one culprit on a deserted Christmas evening while walking on the deadened cold streets of Vienna. It was a young boy and he was just throwing some sort of firecracker out the widow of the six story apartment block without even looking where he was throwing it or on what. When I looked at him, he guiltily hid behind the window curtains and then I thought “so this is why they have krampus, to punish the kids that are throwing firecrackers on pedestrians”!

New Year is coming very soon and I am happy to hear that they celebrate it here albeit with classical music and subzero temperatures. I am interested to see how the Austrian celebrations will turn out...

About eve76


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.