Existing Member?

Funky Patrol Girls

Krabi, Thailand.

THAILAND | Friday, 7 December 2007 | Views [993] | Comments [5]

KRABI

We caught the ferry from Koh Phi Phi Island into Krabi provence and from there caught a public bus to Ao Nang, which has lovely beaches.

When we were on the ferry to Krabi we met a nice guy named Andreas from Sweden who showed us some cheap guesthouses for us to stay in, as he had been here before. Almost everything cheap was booked up! So we put together and got a nice guest house at 1200 Baht per night which is the equivalent of around 40$ a night. Out of our normal price range but good enough for one or two nights, us being exhausted from getting up early and luggin’ our heavy packs around.

Went to the beach on the first day, lay around and soaked up the sun. Beach was beautiful! Saw some crazy monkeys who we fed bananas. Got really close up to some of them, and some even climb on your shoulders! There really like smaller, hairier, flea ridden-er humans! We went for dinner and tried some new things including; fried squid with pineapple (“Ananas” In Swedish), “Tom Yum Goong” which means “Sour and Spicy Shrimp Soup” and Fried Prawn with Chilli. Eating here in Thailand is SUCH a luxury on the tastebuds.

Second day we booked a tour to catch a long boat (resembles a banana) around to all the tropical islands and caves. The water here is breathtaking! The first island we stopped at, we all jumped in for a bit of a snorkel in the aqua and emerald coloured water. Jumping in and finding that the water is NEVER cold is such a surprise! Saw some fish (Wushy wushy’s! as mum calls them) and jumped back into the boat to head to the next island. This island was beautiful! The water was so clear, and the tropical fish came up and swam around us. Took some photos, thank Buddha our camera is waterproof! Next Island we came to was called Chicken Island, as the island literally resembles the head of a chicken!

Perfect snorkelling opp’s here. Water is clear, coral reefs are so vibrant with sea life it makes you wish you were a local! Snorkelled around here for a while, and saw an amazing array of sea critters including; Clown fish (Nemo!), Dory fish, Sea cucumbers (SO CUTE!), Angel fish, Stripy fish, Crabs, Sea anemone’s , Urchins and these crazy territorial fish that come and have a nibble on your legs if you go in there territories.

Last but not least we came to a MASSIVE cave, named Panang Cave. The cave was so huge like a monster! Hard to comprehend... soaked up some more sun here, and heard about the story of the cave.

Local legend tells;

Once there was a man and a wife, and they were fisherman. They were married for 10-15 years, and still had no children. So they talked and decided to go to the sea serpent (VFEBV), who has many powers. The fishermen asked for a daughter, just one, and the serpent said “Yes.. on one condition, you promise to let my son marry your daughter when the time comes.”. The fishermen agreed and as the years went by, the family soon forgot about their promise to the serpent. When a prince came through the cave and saw the daughter, he asked to marry her immediately. The family said yes, naturally, as the Prince would one day become a King.

After a few years of marriage, the serpent became very angry! He brought in an army, and a big war broke loose in the cave. After years of death and disaster, some Hermits appeared from there caves.

With their big bushy hair and beard they called “Stop this war!”. Nobody listened to the Hermits, and the war went on. As the Hermits grew angrier and angrier they worked there special Hermit magic and turned everyone into the landscape around them. People became mountains, Chickens became islands (CHICKEN ISLAND) and everything turned into something.

And thats the story of the Panang Cave.

On our third day, we moved to a nice cute little bungalow for me and mum to share. We hung around the main beach of Ao Nang, had a picnic then decided to catch a long boat to a beach called Ton Sai, which is meant to have great rock formations and caves. We got stuck in some quick mud, but we ended up finding a table and mat to lie on, situated right on the beach. The Sunset was amazing! It was Cool seeing the sun go behind all the rocky formations, took heaps of pics. Then we Caught another long boat back to Ao Nang beach, in the dark. The combo of the fresh sea breeze and the big caves and rocks lit up at night was just breathtaking.

On the Fourth day we booked a tour to go kayaking for the whole day. They picked us up early (yawn) and twenty or so of us squeezed into the back of a truck. We jumped into the kayaks and went mangrove exploring. Mum spotted a water dragon! We Went into some canyons, and explored some awesome mangroves. The guide took us into this AMAZING 1 ½ km long canyon, whose plants and water were so still. Absolutely huge! So peaceful though, practically untouched. We saw some of those spider crabs, who have two eyes poking out the top of their heads like in the cartoons! Then stopped for lunch and were herded back into the truck like cattle and brought to the next place called the “Emerald Pool” You can see why it gets its name, 200m deep, it comes straight of the mountain (FREEZING) and has so many minerals from passing down the mountain and being so far underground which make it literally emerald!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Wow...We love reading your journal. You put so much detail and personality into it that we almost feel we are there! But then we realize we are not...and then we are incredibly jealous. Sorry about that, but we wish you all the best really.
love matt and nikki
merry christmas and happy new year

  matt and nikki Dec 29, 2007 7:09 PM

2

Fantastic Eva I have just looked at all the photos and read your journal, keep up the story. From what I've seen and read I reckon I must see Krabi and Cambodia.
Greeny x

  David Green Jan 5, 2008 10:16 AM

3

Evil that sounds so good, you guys must be lovin it. That boat trip sounds cool. me jealous too....
Love Joelous

  joelous Jan 6, 2008 9:07 PM

4

wow!!
sounds really beautiful over there!!!

I'm SO jealous! hehe :]

hope ya having heaps of fun guys!!
LOVE Jai Jai && family!

  jai jai! Jan 7, 2008 5:47 PM

5

Hi Evie, have just read your BRILLIANT account of Krabi. All sounds so amazingly amazing! Look forward to seeing all your photos and reading the rest of your journal.It certainly gives me the urge to start packing my backpack and taking off. I hope all these beautiful places are being well looked after and will be around for a very long time. I'm sure they are valuable for tourism so also have financial value to Thailand.
When you get back it will all seem like a dream so as I said before, MAKE THE MOST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!
When I wrote that in the email, I was not really addressing mum (Sian), as she doesn't have to be told to appreciate travel. I meant it for you. You are so lucky to have this opportunity and your life in Melb will be waiting for you when you get back. (Is it really THAT exciting)? Don't answer that! I bet your friends are loving reading your journal. I bet they would love to be there too.
I rang Greenie tonight and he said you will be back on the 22nd. So have fun, see lots and come back safely.
Lots of love, hugs and kisses
fwams xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  fwams Jan 12, 2008 9:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.