Existing Member?

Funky Patrol Girls

Cambodiiaaaa

CAMBODIA | Friday, 23 November 2007 | Views [1224]

CAMBODGE (Cambodia)

Where do i start? First of all we booked a bus to Siem Reap, the closest town to the famous temples of Angkor. The bus ride was terrible! It was an old rickety bus with absolutely NOOOO suspension! Ten hours of bumping around so hard, as there is no road. Rumour is that the government is paying Thai airways to not fix the road so that tourists more inclined to use aeroplanes. We were put on what is called the scam bus. Everyone else gets nice coaches (with suspension) and we ended up in he public bus which everyone else pays about 150Baht which is around five dollars AUD $. We payed around 18,000Baht (600AUD) for the crap bus and two nights’ accommodation at a cheap hotel, which was around 20AUD $ a night. We got ripped off major. They make you uncomfortable on the bus on purpose, turn up the aircon full ball and go very slow so it takes as long as possible and then when your very tired and uncomfortable they dump you at the hotel of your choice which they get paid to dump us at.

The temples of Angkor Wat are ABSOLUTELY GEORGOUS! We went the main big temple first (Angkor wat) which is massive and just covered heaps of intricate detail. Apparently when they first discovered all of the temples, they were covered with trees and forest and jungle but they pullet it all back for the tourists. The other temples are every impressive but after a while they all sort of look the same which sounds terrible as they are all very beautiful. After we went into all the temples, we were harassed by children overcharging us for postcards and water. They just would leave us alone! They have an American accent from the Yanks when they say “Dollar” in such a whiney HILARIOUS WAY you can’t help cracking up. This is done by children all over Thailand also, as the children believe that just because we are foreigners we must be rich. So what’s five dollars to us?

We met up with Pisey, a Tuk-Tuk driver who was recommended to us by a friend who stayed in Cambodia. He was really lovely! We had lunch together every day and he was very chatty and friendly. He drove us around to all the temples of Angkor, and he showed us the better side of Siem Reap. Siem reap is very different to Thailand, with rubbish and rubble EVERYWHERE. Pollution and dirt fill the air.

After a couple of days we decided to head over to the orphanage called Green Gecko that my mums friend Nikki volunteered at for 5 weeks. You couldn’t really call it an orphanage because it’s more of a place for street children to go to for support, peers, clean clothes, food and a place to belong. It’s also a school were volunteers from other countries come to teach English. Most of the kids are driven to the streets as they’re parents are either in prostitution or are unfit to work (landmine limb losses). This place is a safe refuge for the kids to go during the week, to get away from the streets and they’re parents.

Tags: Scams & Robberies

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.