Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Shop til you drop

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [667] | Comments [6]

Whose idea was it for me to bring a small bag? I wish I'd brought a suitcase. An empty one.

Took the overnight train to Hoi An, a small town halfway up the cast. It's known for the silk trade and has about 200 tailors, all making gorgeous made to measure clothes. There seems to be almost as many shoe makers. They'll make you anything you want, in any size or colour. They can even copy your favourite shoes or make them from a drawing. I have no time and no space, so I don't buy a thing. Can you believe it? A couple of weeks on the road and I'm already unrecognisable. :o)

The old town is very pretty, especially in the evenings with all the lights. The hotel we are in is luxury for us. Have made the most of its lovely pool and internet, although both are constantly busy with Aussie children. Shall have to get used to them.

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

Sounds like my kind of town - do easyJet go there? Enjoy your touch of luxury, mate!

  Annie Oct 6, 2007 7:57 PM

2

Why don't you just stay and linger for a while? I didn't realise you had a hard and fast schedule, I thought you'd just be meandering about, staying wherever you fancied. Sounds perfect in Vietnam (apart from the heat, obviously).

  Dee Oct 6, 2007 8:57 PM

3

Three countries in a month, so there's no time to stop for more than a few days. There's too much to see and do. Will have a wee rest in Thailand.

  esther Oct 7, 2007 10:24 AM

4

No ooshes?! Who are you and what have you done with my sister?!

  Shaesh Oct 8, 2007 7:09 AM

5

Well......made to measure shoes? With my size 2 feet, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!! Have already decided that Vietnam is absolutely on my list of very near future holiday destinations!!!

  Kirstin Oct 9, 2007 4:44 PM

6

".....busy with Aussie children. Shall have to get used to them". I think you are moving a bit fast Esther - don't pop sprongs out with the first Aussie you meet. Unless it's that past-it World Cup player George Gregan of course.

  Cuz Mart Oct 30, 2007 7:16 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.