Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Miss Saigon

VIETNAM | Monday, 1 October 2007 | Views [637] | Comments [2]

In Cambodia I was "Lady" but in Vietnam I'm "Miss", except on one occasion when I was "Madame" but I blame the G-Man for that. Saigon is lovely. Wonderful shoppig (although I have no room in my backpack for anything new) and we've met some interesting people.

Went on fantastic trip yesterday to the Cao Dai temple and Cu Chi tunnels yesterday. Our tour guide was a retired Engligh teacher who had a bigger love of Aussie slang than me, if you can believe it. He even taught me a few - "get off quicker than bride's nightie" when we had to jump the bus in a hurry. He had faught alongside the Americans in the south during the war, and his experience as a teacher made him an excellent guide.

The Cao Dai temple was weird. No other word for it. Cao Dai is a new religion, made up in the 1920s from a mixture of all the dominant religions in Vietnam. The church was a sight to see - imagine Mattel made a Barbie churches - bright yellow in the outside and pastel pink and blune inside with glittery stars on the ceiling. The guys in Rome aren't crapping themselves, that's for sure.

I'll tell you about the Cu Chi tunnels when I have more time. Catchig a sleeper train tonight on the road north.

Tags: Culture

 

Comments

1

This trip sounds just up my street. LOL to the description of the Barbie temple! Never heard of Cao Dai - is it an anagram?

  Dee Oct 6, 2007 8:52 PM

2

It means "high place".

  esther Oct 7, 2007 10:27 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.