Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

At Uncle G's in Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 23 September 2007 | Views [554] | Comments [7]

Had a small mishap with the adresses but I found Uncle G eventually. He's been very generous with his time and space and we're likely to abuse that for a wee bit longer. I'm very happy to be spending a few quiet days here after travelling incessantly. I say quiet, but it's not really. It's mental. The traffic has to be seen to be believed, although I'm told that Vietnam is even worse. I can't imagine. Moto and tuktuk drivers are causing me some difficulty, as is anywhere without a menu or price tags. It's just too easy to get ripped off.

We visited Toul Sleng yesterday, the infamous Khmer Rouge prison S21. It was a grim experience to say the least. Today we were going to take a trip to see the Killing Fields themselves, but not enough people have signed up for it. It's possibly for the best since I don't think I could handle a whole day out in the baking heat. I started sweating in Dubai (a 32 degree steamroom) and I haven't stopped since.

Have had some nice meals. Uncle G is going to make us a home cooked meal tonight, which will be a rare treat on this trip. Tomorrow we get our visas for Vietnam before we move on.

Tags: Family

Comments

1

It all sounds very exotic. And hot! Stay safe mate. xxx

  Cat Sep 23, 2007 11:05 PM

2

Keep your wits about you, mate. But you're already sounding very worldly-wise and well-travelled. Go you!

  Annie Sep 24, 2007 1:01 AM

3

Ah. That pesky Uncle Greeme. Nice rouse but I know you have bloodhound esque tracking skills. As for getting ripped off, to some extent it's inevitable but I take my hat off to anyone who can squeeze money out of you that they're not entitled to!

Enjoy the home cooked meals. I miss Uncle Greeme's cooking as much as I miss him. Good luck with the visa and enjoy the next few days that you have with him.

Sh x

  Shaesh Sep 24, 2007 4:21 AM

4

Hi esther, Glad to hear you arrived fine. How was the squash? Hope you weren't too bored getting there. Any good films? Please give our love to GREEEEM and hope that you are becoming a-climate-ised. Driclor is good if wet patches become a problem. Good to hear your news. keep it coming. Love from all us Dobbies and think of us fondly but don't miss home too much. Big hugs Cuz Dilz

  dilz Sep 24, 2007 4:56 AM

5

Gosh, what a whirlwind. A few quiet days will do you well as will home-cooked meal. Be careful crossing the street and +++++ your visa getting goes smoothly and you get on your way.

Em xxx

  emily Sep 24, 2007 7:14 AM

6

All sounds very different to Weegieland mate! Glad you're coping without us. Lotsa love and ++++++++++++ vibes.

  Sue Sep 24, 2007 7:37 AM

7

If you see more of Vietnam than the traffic, remember to take lots of piccies to share. It's one of the places I'd love to see, and it's nice to have our very own guinea pig to try it out for us.

  Dee Sep 24, 2007 5:26 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.