Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Welcome to the Jungle

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 21 June 2008 | Views [852] | Comments [1]

I arrived in Malaysia on Sunday. First stop was Melaka, a historical town with a Portuguese colonial influence. The town has grown since then, but a lot of the old buildings are still there. There's been a lot of money invested int he town recently, and by 2010 it should be back to its original grandeur. I also spent a day on a local island, Pulau Besar which was almost deserted. Swimming in the sea was like getting into a hot bath and I got bitten to bits walking inland, but that was only good practice for what was about to come.

From Melaka I headed north to Taman Negara (National Park) in the centre of Malaysia. The best part of the experience was the three hour boat trip up the river into the park. The views were beautiful and if there is a better way to travel, I haven't done it yet. I spent one night in a jungle camp. Unfortunately the generator was broken so we had no electricity for the night. Candles for light and no fan, windows open and plenty of my biting friends! I survived the night with a lot of insect repellent and a prayer. The next day a few of us took an unguided walk in the jungle to a waterfall. It was a bit too adventurous for me, but I did it in the end. That night was spent in the local resort with only slightly more advance facilities and a night safari - a world away from the Singapore Zoo. Not as much real wildlife, in fact the most exciting part was the fourteen people crammed in and on one four-wheel drive.

After the national park it was time for a cool sea breeze and some relaxation, so I took myself off to the coast. The small town of Cherating is a little paradise. It's very quiet, with clear blue waters, and just enough in the town to keep me occupied for a few days before I explore some more of Malaysia's islands.

Comments

1

Getting bitten in a tropical paradise or soaked to the skin in the freezing rain at Hampden. I never thought I'd say this, but it's a close call. Hope you've got lots of marie rose.

  shaesh Jun 22, 2008 9:02 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.