Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Singapore Slinging

SINGAPORE | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [826]

I arrived in Singapore shortly before 2 o'clock in the morning. I hadn't had much sleep on the plane and was panicking going through customs that I might be arrested for smuggling chewing gum into the country. There was nothing to worry about. My arrival was not noted. Here, as opposed to other parts of SE Asia, I am invisible. Not a bad thing when you want to go unnoticed and have a sneaky kip in the airport until the metro opens.
Unfortunately I couldn't get into my hostel until the afternoon, so I had seven hours to waste in the city. So where does one go unwashed, after sleeping on a bench for just a couple of hours? Raffles, of course! I've crashed some of the most exclusive hotels in the world and this was a doddle. It was lovely, but sadly too early for a Sling in the Long Bar. I spent the rest of the day wandering around in Little India and the Colonial District trying to find a happy medium between the steam bath outside and the ice blasting air conditioning inside the malls. I was happy to get into my hostel for a well earned rest.
The next day I checked out some of the museums and art galleries and looked about Chinatown. Singapore is world famous for shopping, but it's really only good when you've got a big enough purse and a big enough bag. I have to keep reminding myself that I'll be back here again soon. On Friday night I headed off to the Night safari. A compliment to the Singapore Zoo, the Night Safari operates while the Zoo is closed and lets you see all the nocturnal animals. It's a well put together show which runs remarkably efficiently despite the enormous numbers in the weekend crowds. But you would expect nothing less from Singapore. It's all true.
Tomorrow I'm off to Malaysia.

 

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.