Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Back Outback

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 27 May 2008 | Views [873] | Comments [2]

After a few days in Adelaide it was time to get on the road again, and a long road at that. I set off on a tour of the outback to the red centre. The journey took six days and covered more than 2000km. It was a long, hot and tiring experience, but one I had to do.

Day 1 - We left Adelaide and made out way northwards though the Calre Valley stopping briefly at Quorn (no, really) and arriving at our first night's accommodation in Parachilna. There's not a lot in Parachilna, but at least there's pub and all the six people who live there like it a lot. Actually, one of the left the night we were there (nothing personal) so I believe they are down to five now. Dinner was a bbq of camel, kangaroo and emu. All very tasty.

Day 2 - After a good night's rest (the only one on the trip) we moved on to the Flinders Ranges. I opted out of the big hike up the mountain, preferring a gentle bush walk instead. Obviously I got told I was "weak as piss" , as not "having a go" is a crime in Aus, but I didn't care. I know my limitations and there would be plenty of opportunity for adventure later.

Day 3 - On our third day we headed off early into the outback, stopping at one of the many salt lakes. This one is no longer mined, but we couldn't get too close as it's in an area for military rocket testing and there's always a chance of getting exploded which would bring down anyone's holiday. That afternoon we arrived in Coober Pedy which is famous for it's opal mines and it's mostly underground dwellings. But the Australian sense of humour is far more precious to me than any old stone. I had always suspected that the meaning of the name was apocryphal, but I was delighted to discover that it is absolutely true. Roughly translated from the local language Coober Pedy means "white fella's burrow". Disappointingly there are a lot of buildings above ground, but I had the pleasure of sleeping in a bunkhouse chiseled out from the rock.

Day 4 - After another early start we were off on the road towards the red centre. It's a long way from Coober Pedy in South Australia to Yulara in the Northern Territory and the journey took most of the day, arriving there just in time for sunset at Uluru (that's Ayers Rock to you). It was a very pleasant experience drinking champagne and watching the colours change slowly from yellow to orange to red and brown. That night it was back to our campsite and for the first time I slept in a swag under the stars. Despite the perfectly clear skies I wasn't at all cold and if I'd only been allowed a lie in in the morning I'd have been happy.

Day 5 - Alas, there was no lie in. Once again we were up before sunrise so we could watch it at Uluru. Unfortunately every other tourist in Australia was there too and my idea of a majestic, peaceful moment was slightly spoiled. After sunrise I took a walk around the base which takes nearly two hours. The aboriginals ask that you don't do The Climb and they also ask that you don't photograph parts of the rock. You will just have to take my word for it that Uluru is a much more fascinating and varied object than most photographs would lead you to believe. Some of the shapes and colours in the rock are spectacular. After Uluru we went to Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) which the national park is named after. They are less well known but just as spectacular in their own way. Sadly we'd spent too much time at the big red rock and couldn't stay long to explore. Then it was back on the bus to King's Canyon and another amazing night in swags under the stars.

Day 6 - A slightly later start (hallelujah) and off to King's Canyon. This w3as one of the things I was most looking forward to on this trip and I knew it would be a big challenge for me. I managed to climb the canyon and take the full walk around it. I don't know how anyone could do it in the height of summer, the experience in winter was breathtaking in more ways than one, but I did it with no complaints. Unfortunately the pictures just don't capture the scale and beauty of it. In the afternoon it was another long drive to Alice Springs where I'm staying for a couple of days before the next leg of my adventure.

Comments

1

Fab photos. Nice to see so many of you in there. You're finally getting the hang of this.

  Shaesh May 28, 2008 7:57 PM

2

Glad to see you're having a ball. Pics. are spectacular, good as any National Geography snapper!!! Who knows, maybe you should write a book when you get home and fill us in on all the juicy bit you've missed out here!!! Makes our Portugal trip very tame!!! Talk to you soon, Big loves and Huggles, Mum

  Janet Weir May 28, 2008 8:12 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.