Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Go West

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 17 November 2007 | Views [699] | Comments [3]

Getting to Perth was a bit of an adventure. We got the late bus to Townsville (so good they named it twice) only to discover the airport was closed and we would have to wait for four hours to get in. We had no accommodation and it was after midnight. There was a time when such a situation would have panicked me, but instead I hunkered down and slept on the pavement outside the airport. It says a lot that this was infinitely more pleasant than the only bed available for the night once we arrived in Perth. The G-man christened the hostel Fawlty Towers. He was being generous.
In Perth we visited the Swan Bells which is a tower where 12 of the bells of St Martin of the Fields in London are kept. Together it is one of the largest musical instruments in the world. We were lucky enough to be there while there was a hands on demonstration and got to chime the bells.
Since our accommodation in Perth was less than perfect we decided to head down to Fremantle earlier than intended. We took the scenic route by ferry, which was appropriate since Freo is rather scenic itself. It's a lovely town with lots to do and luckily we've arrived just in time for the Freo festival.
Last night we did the torchlight tour of Fremantle Prison. It was originally built by convicts for their own incarceration but continued to be a maximum security prison until 1991. They did their best to scare the jobbies out of us and took us to all the most grim corners of the gaol. The place is certainly full of ghosts.
I've got a couple more days in Freo enjoying the markets and festival while we decide on a plan of action for the west coast.

Tags: Airports

Comments

1

You wouldn't expect the most remote capital city in the world to be easy to get to, now would you? Enjoy WA, it'll knock your socks off. Don't forget them Perth hills now ;-))

xx

  Cat Nov 17, 2007 8:17 PM

2

As you're 9 hours ahead of us - and nine housrs OLDER - just to wish you a very, very happy birthday on the 21st - and hope you have a good time and a bit of a knees-up!!

Love and big huggles and kisses.


  Mum and Dad Nov 21, 2007 8:39 AM

3

Hey Weegie girl....hope you're kicking back good style on your special day. Thinking of you and hoping that this birthdays one you'll always remember!
Love and hugs, xoxoxoxoxox

  Sue Nov 21, 2007 9:37 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.