Existing Member?

A little bit of the world

Day 16 - Paris

FRANCE | Sunday, 16 May 2010 | Views [553]

The tourist information centres at the Charles De Gaulle airport are excellent, so take advantage of these friendly and helpful English speaking staff before you get to the city booths which may or may not be so helpful.

We checked into the Auberge de Jeune Ferry youth hostel near Republic. I’d got the list of YHAs from the info centre and then cross referenced with the Lonely planet. Not the best of their recommendations I’ve used. The cleaning lady was quite impatient and bossy and ordered us to take our bags out of the lobby the minute we’d checked in. The bathrooms are pretty old and grimy and the internet stalls hard to use when not frozen or completely out of order. Furthermore, their spiral staircase is unending, and I pity the guests staying on the 5th floor as we’re already worn out being on the 3rd. 

Our afternoon was spent on Montmarte where we shared a bottle of wine on the grass just under the towering white basilica in the warm spring sun. The local buskers were out and proudly displaying their talents. So we sat lazily and were serenaded by a nearby guitarist while watching a man juggling a soccer ball while stripping. His act ‘climaxed’ with the young and very fit man balancing the spinning ball on a pen, in his mouth, while climbing up a light pole shirtless.

I suddenly have the urge to join a soccer club.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.