Existing Member?

A little bit of the world

Week 3 - Welcome to Kampong Chhnang!

CAMBODIA | Monday, 3 February 2014 | Views [577]

Today I left the western bubble that is Phnom Penh for the not-so-glamorous country town I will be calling home for the next year.

I'm now in Kampong Chhnang, about 90km north of Phnom Penh. Mozzies are abundant and I've encountered my first squat toilet since arriving in Cambodia.

I was starting to think these elusive structures were but a myth here.

Sleeping nets don my four poster bed (even though the posts are but tall slivers of bamboo), and I've made a new friend.. a huge wingless cockroach that reminds me a little of the giant burrowing rainforest roaches we have in Australia.. only this dude runs ten times faster. And he seems to be getting closer to the bed with every pass he makes across the room.

Eep. If you don't hear from me again, I've been sucked dry by stripy dengue mosquitos or devoured by an aggressive armour plated roach. Or possibly the pack of dogs that have suddenly decided to bark in unison outside my window.

Ahh... the provinces. Where the real action is at!

 

 

Tags: cambodia, cockroaches, country life, kampong chhnang, on the road, travel

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.