Existing Member?

Posh Backpackers On Wheels Grace and Marie Therese's Round-the-World Adventure

Rio De Janeiro

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 6 November 2007 | Views [690] | Comments [7]

Arrived in Rio two white little cáilíní. Approached by locals to 'watch out, be careful' because we stood out. So we decided it's better to be safe than sorry, and carried out several precautionary tasks.

1. Dyed Grace's hair BROWN

2. Went to the beach to tan ourselves with no sun lotion ----- result: LOBSTERS!!!!!!!!!!! (now we stand out even more)

3. Made friends with the locals to have bodyguards and city guides.

4. Sat for an hour saying HI to everyone at the hostel ---- result: One big happy family at Alpha Hostel!

5. Kept the flag and the beers flying, we are Irish after all.

Took an organized city tour around Rio:

Christ

Sugar Loaf

Ipanema

Copacabana

Historical Center

Maracana

Well worth it and highly recommended. Then Friday night had a gathering and bbq with our new family at Alpha Hostel, followed by night out in 'LAPA' - area packed with samba bars and clubs. There was a dance off at the Samba bar with live band, everybody did their samba in the circle, then our turn came up (we were dragged in to it), so like all the Irish we went hell for leather with RIVERDANCE!!!! It covered up our lack of Samba skills... But since we went to a sambaschool where they were rehearsing for Carnival... We are now PROFESSIONALS! Sambaschool in Cahersiveen to be opened in September!

Spoilt by the Alpha manager, Léo the Lion, he brought us to see amazing waterfalls untouched by tourism, so very lucky girls. Absolutely beautiful! Frenchy AKA FROGGY, has been a continued entertainer, making us weak at the knees. hahahahahaha, not an hour passed without a laugh.

Angela made sure the family at Alpha experienced the local nightlife in Lapa and last night at a FAVELA (slum) FUNK PARTY!!!! Great experience! But we decided against Riverdance on this one occation.

So puts an end to our unforgettable time in Riod. Off to Salvador tonight...Stay tuned for more!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

wow girls, thats what i was wanting to hear, fun fun fun!
sounds real happiness with you too,
look forward for more news
jeah

  joana Taya Nov 7, 2007 6:11 AM

2

great stuff, say hi to rio from me :) Funk Karaoke kicks ass hehe

  Frankie the brother Nov 7, 2007 6:18 AM

3

Hey, now it sounds like you're settlig in just fine. Riverdance/Samba, the mind reels at the implications. %^(

Sounds like the trip is getting better and better - ta bom!

Just wait until you get to Salvador.... and give my regards to the city!

  Thor Nov 8, 2007 1:23 AM

4

wait for me girls, i'll be right over!! well, actually just booked a hostel in buenos aires instead (twin room rather than dorm cause we're scared of real backpackers like you two). will learn tango asap to compete with your samba skills... or maybe just stick to shoe the donkey... right mum?
xxx

  Head Nov 8, 2007 4:12 AM

5

Hey girls, just slow down, you only just got there, wait till you meet the gauchos. have a drink or two for me. Take care and have wonderful times.

  julia C Nov 8, 2007 4:28 AM

6

hi girls.sounds brill. dying to see the hair King.x

  sadhbh o neill Nov 13, 2007 11:51 PM

7

Ok ok we're slowing down...Just for the moment (20 hours to be precise - our bus trip to brasilia). Heather: How long r u in Argentina for? We can have a riverdance vs samba vs tango vs shoe the donkey dance off! We'll be there for Christmas.

Sadhbh - will post photos soon. Keep saying that but we'll have loads of hours to kill in Bolivia. dont forget to post pictures of your little Princess, we wonder is she a Fame or a sophie!!!!!

Thor - we gave Salvador a big kiss from you. They're waiting for your return! Muito Bom!!!!!

Bro and Sis, We'll teach you some favela funk moves on our return...it's all in the ASS! We practice in the room when we're bored.

  entertainers Nov 14, 2007 6:51 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.