Existing Member?

Sweet Home Guatemala My experience volunteering and reporting in Antigua -Guatemala.

Profe

GUATEMALA | Friday, 22 May 2009 | Views [1959]

Let's speak about the classroom. The desks are distributed in three rows. They are of wood and metal, painted in yellow and soft blue already peeled. Now let's speak what happens inside the room. From already I warn that it is not very different from what happens in the majority of the classrooms, therefore we can skip the obvious and focus in the particularities. The children who are sat in the bankings does not use uniform, some of them dress the gray trousers that they must use in the state school, but above they use color vests or shirts. The girls, use dresses and typical blouses, though some of them use jeans and vests. They are Mayan and of the 24 languages that are spoken in Guatemala, they speak two. Cakchiquel and Spanish. Their Spanish is different. They pronounce verbs in an active way. “Copio” is “copiar”, “tomo” is “tomar”.

In general they do not assemble complete phrases if they can only say a word, therefore it is common to listen in each of the classrooms several times a day, “borrador” (eraser) and “sanitario” (bathroom). The bathroom is a place that they try to frequent all the times as possible, sometimes only to chat. A teacher without experience can lose an important part of his students if he does not take the account of how many kids he gave permission to go to the sanitary. That is the other thing that we can find in this room, a teacher. A teacher who is learning to teach and in one evening gave more permissions of the necessary ones for the bathroom and from one moment to other he realized that the half of the students was outside. A teacher who checks the list, who prepares his classes and who has learned to care about the children and that today lives his last day teaching them.

A teacher who in another life, in the southern part of the world is a journalist and is employed at a university radio, so for moments he invites to classes that another life journalist, to do a radio workshop with the children. When the microphone is on, the children who did not put great attention when he explained radio theory to them, become shy. None dares to speak, he asks them to write a message and asks one of the kids to be the host. The boys are the first ones to approach and read it, the girls are shy about it. He approaches to them, they read her messages and then they listen to them all together sitting in the floor with the speaker of the recorder and they laugh and ask him to listen to it again. Then they record messages for him and his girlfriend in the recorder, and while he is in the floor surrounded by smiling children, he thinks that things are much simple than he thought, that moments like this are the only things necessary, that if he achieved that a child laughed, everything already was worth a sorrow and the emptiness he was feeling is gone.

With his heart full he says goodbye. He will not be “El Profe” again, a name he got used faster than he could imagine. In the night he will have a barbecue with other "profes" and with the "seños", he will be tired, so he will not remain to the farewell of the volunteers who go away. He will go to bed early thinking about the simplicity of things and he will feel that everything has something of sense and that will allow him to sleep calmly. 

Spanish:

Profe

Hablemos de la sala de clases. Los pupitres se encuentran distribuidos en tres filas. Son de madera y metal, pintados en amarillo y celeste ya descascarado. Ahora hablemos de lo que ocurre dentro de la sala. Desde ya les aviso que no es muy diferente a lo que ocurre en la mayoría de las salas de clases, por lo tanto nos podemos saltar lo obvio y enfocarnos en las particularidades. Los niños que están sentados en las bancas, no llevan uniforme, algunos utilizan el pantalón gris que deben usar en la escuela estatal, pero arriba usan camisetas o camisas de colores. Las niñas, visten vestidos y blusas típicas, aunque algunas llevan jeans y camisetas. Son mayas y de las 24 lenguas que se hablan en Guatemala ellos hablan 2. Cakchiquel y Español. Su español es diferente. Dicen sus verbos en activo. “Copio” es “copiar”, “toma” es “tomar”. En general no arman frases completas cuando pueden sólo decir una palabra, por lo tanto es común escuchar en cada una de las salas varias veces al día, “borrador” y “sanitario”. Este último es un lugar que frecuentan todas las veces que pueden, a veces sólo para conversar. Un profesor sin experiencia puede perder a parte importante de su clase si no lleva la cuenta de a cuántos alumnos dio permiso para ir al sanitario. Eso es lo otro que hay en esta sala, un profesor. Un profesor que está aprendiendo a hacer clases y que sí, una tarde dio más permisos de los necesarios para ir al baño y de un momento a otro se dio cuenta de la escasez de alumnos que tenía en su sala. Un profesor que pasa lista, que prepara sus clases y que ha aprendido a querer a los niños y que hoy vive su último día ensañándoles. Un profesor que en otra vida, más al sur es periodista y trabaja en radio y que por momentos invita a clases al de la otra vida para hacer un taller de radio con los niños y ese otro prende el micrófono y los niños que no le pusieron mucha atención cuando les explicó teoría sobre la radio, se ponen tímidos. Ninguno se atreve a hablar, les pide que escriban un mensaje y a uno que sea el presentador. Los niños son los primeros en acercarse a leerlo, las niñas no se atreven. Él se acerca, ellas leen su mensaje y luego los escuchan todos juntos, sentados en el suelo, con el parlante de la grabadora y se ríen y le piden escucharlo de nuevo y le graban mensajes para él y su novia en la grabadora y mientras está sentado en el suelo rodeado de niños que sonríen piensa que las cosas son mucho más simples de lo que pensaba, que eso es lo único que basta, que si logró que un niño riera, todo ya valió la pena, desaparece el vacío que sentía y con el corazón lleno se despide, ya no volverá a ser “El profe”, un nombre al que se acostumbró más rápido de lo que pudiera imaginar. En la noche tendrá un asado con los otros “profes” y con las “seños”, estará cansado, no se quedará a la despedida de los voluntarios que se van y se irá a acostar pensando en la simplicidad de las cosas y sentirá que todo tiene algo de sentido y eso le permitirá dormir tranquilo.

About enrique_nunez_mussa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.