Existing Member?

Sweet Home Guatemala My experience volunteering and reporting in Antigua -Guatemala.

The Test

GUATEMALA | Monday, 18 May 2009 | Views [1019]

I get punctually to the coffee shop, there are the other volunteers. Dom, the director of GVI in Guatemala greets me and explains to me that during the first week I will be doing classes in the community San Andrés Itzapa. One of the two communities in which GVI has their educational projects, the others is Santa María de Jesús. In both the organization has installed schools that work complementary to the state schools, in order that the children reinforce the contents.

 

The volunteers that teach are in their majority english speakers that previously have taken spanish classes in Antigua. The children I will teach are the equivalent to a fourth grade, between 9 and 12 years divided in the morning and the evening, according to the schedule of the other school and their work in the field or helping at home with domestic labors. The name of the class is Tacana, every class takes the name of a guatemalan volcano: Pacaya, Fuego, Aticlan, Tolimán and Tajumulco. While smaller the volcano, smaller the class.

 In the school that has six classrooms, a warehouse and a henhouse, they deliver me a math test that the kids must resolve the first hour. I am afraid that it is not the best way to get introduce with my students. The second hour we will see Spanish Language, it will be easier. I write the exercises in the whiteboard and wait for my students. They come running to the room with their cups of atole, traditional drink made of water and flour. I tell the children that I will be the teacher during this week and that I come from Chile, none had listened before about the country, I tell them that Chile has the shape of a chili like the one they know to spice food. They laugh. We begin well. When I ask them to write the math problems they say to me that they don’t know how to resolve them. I ask another teacher if indeed they do not know and he assures me that they know them. Exactly, they knew them. Then Dom will tell me that the kids test every new teacher.

Apparently I passed the test because at the end of the day I had a heap of math exams in my bagpack that I had to learn to resolve so I could be able to check them.

Spanish: La Prueba

Llego puntual al coffee shop, ahí están los otros voluntarios. Dom, el director de GVI en Guatemala me saluda y me explica que durante la primera semana estaré haciendo clases en la comunidad San Andrés Itzapa. Una de las dos comunidades en las que GVI tiene sus proyectos educativos, la otras es Santa María de Jesús. En ambas la organización ha instalado colegios que funcionan de forma complementaria a los colegios estatales, para que los niños refuercen los contenidos. Las clases las hacen los voluntarios, en su mayoría de habla inglesa que previamente han asistido a un curso de español en Antigua. Los niños a los que enseñaré son el equivalente a un cuarto básico, entre 9 y 12 años, divididos en la mañana y la tarde, según el horario de la otra escuela y de su trabajo en el campo o ayudando en sus hogares con labores domésticas. El nombre de la clase es Tacana, cada clase lleva el nombre de un volcán Guatemalteco, también están: Pacaya, Fuego, Aticlan, Tolimán y Tajumulco. Mientras más pequeño el volcán, más pequeño el curso. En la escuela que cuenta con seis salas de clases, una bodega y un gallinero, me entregan una prueba de matemáticas que los niños deben resolver la primera hora. Temo que no sea la mejor manera de introducirme con el curso. La segunda hora veremos Idioma Español, eso será más fácil. Escribo los ejercicios en la pizarra y espero a mis alumnos. Llegan corriendo a la sala con sus tazas de atole, bebida tradicional en base a agua y harina. Les cuento a los niños que seré su profesor durante esta semana y que vengo de Chile, ninguno había escuchado hablar antes del país, les digo que Chile tiene la forma de un chile como el que ellos conocen para condimentar sus comidas. Ríen. Comenzamos bien. Cuando les pido que escriban las preguntas de la prueba me aseguran que no saben hacer los ejercicios. Le pregunto a otro profesor si de verdad no los conocen y me asegura que los saben. Efectivamente los conocían, luego Dom me explicará que siempre que llega un profesor nuevo intentan probarlo, por lo visto pasé la prueba porque al final del día tenía un montón de exámenes de matemáticas en mi mochila que debía aprender a resolver para poder corregirlos.

About enrique_nunez_mussa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.