Existing Member?

Sweet Home Guatemala My experience volunteering and reporting in Antigua -Guatemala.

Dreaming Awake

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 17 May 2009 | Views [964]

I get up and try the electrical shower without accidents. Someone knocks my door, it is another intern of the organization. I go out with my bags. A group of volunteers of different latitudes has assembled: Canada, Japan, the United States. I join them. We are told that we will go to know our new houses. During these two weeks I will be living with a family of Antigua. I don’t know anything of them, except the name of my home mother and the address. The streets of Antigua still preserve irregular grounds constructed with rocks, therefore my suitcase with wheels jumps more of once while we rise towards La Candelaria, the street where the majority of the houses where the volunteers live are. They are families that offer their rooms as a hostelling service and that already are used to receive visitors of different latitudes of the world. While walking I see a football and basketball field, what doesn’t have anything strange for a residential sector on the shore of the street, with the exception of the ruins of a colonial destroyed building behind it. I get stuck observing it. It is Candelaria's front, a hermitage and laterparish in front of the steet with the same name. Still I don’t know that it will be the first one of a lot of ruins that I will find in the city.

Antigua has been a victim of more than one earthquake. One of the most shocking was 1773 earthquake, that caused serious damages to buildings including La Candelaria and implied the evacuation of the city. My house is Silvia Cazali’s, as the plate of crockery announces it next to the door.

 

She comes out to receive me and invites me to pass. Though I must leave my bags fastly, it is impossible not to be surprised for the decoration full of details, the two fountains in the court, one of them representing the Génesis, and the frogs of the bath in different styles and pose.

 My room is in the second floor, I must raise a snail stair to reach it. Silvia who is happy that we can communicate in spanish, warns me that the steps are short, so I take care not to strike my head. I am grateful about the warning, though more than once I forgot it during my stay. It is difficult to raise the suitcase, Silvia says to me: "At least it is only this time and already when you go away ". Exhausted, I go out to meet the other volunteers. We are going to have breakfast, there we know details on GVI's history and the projects they are developing. Later we go to the cofee shop that will be the place of meeting of the volunteers every morning and then we are free to see the city. I acquire first impressions with tourist eyes: The market, a brief visit, the stands are essentially of clothes and vegetables, three women sitting next to each other in a choreography amass tortillas inside a basket covered by a piece of cloth. The tortillas are fundamental in the daily diet of the guatemalans.

Then I visit La Calle del Arco, the most tourist street of the city. It is full of restaurants and shops, the visitors detain to watch and photograph the local spectacles: a caress that makes laugh with globes and acrobatics, a band called Grupo Union Muscial that emit andean sounds from two enormous xylophones at the interior of a restaurant and the Agrupación Musical Kaqchikel, that in honor to its name, plays Mayan music and dress like such, accompanied of a child who dances non-stop.

La Calle del Arco leads to the church La Merced, out of it I see loving couples framed by the yellow and white of the church, which delivers an aura of warmth to the square that precedes it.

She is like the small daughter of La Catedral de San José, a white, big and impressive church in front of the Central Park that in the downtown illuminates the nights with her light faeces of Central American dream. A dream that I am starting to live.

 Spanish: Soñar despierto

Me levanto y pruebo la ducha eléctrica sin accidentes de por medio. Tocan a mi puerta, es otra intern de la organización. Salgo con mis bolsos. Hay reunido un grupo de voluntarias de diferentes latitudes: Canadá, Japón, Estados Unidos. Me sumo a ellas. Nos avisan que iremos a conocer nuestras nuevas casas. Durante estas dos semanas estaré viviendo con una familia de Antigua. No sé nada de ellos, salvo el nombre de mi home mother y la dirección. Las calles de Antigua aún conservan suelos irregulares, construidos a partir de piedras, por lo tanto mi maleta con ruedas salta más de una vez mientras subimos hacia La Candelaria, la calle donde se encuentran la mayoría de las casas donde viven los voluntarios. Se trata de familias que ofrecen sus habitaciones como un servicio de hostelling y que ya están acostumbradas a recibir visitantes de diferentes lugares del mundo. Poco antes de llegar, veo una cancha de fútbol y baloncesto, lo que no tiene nada de extraño en un sector residencial a una orilla de la calle, con la excepción de que al fondo están las ruinas de un edificio colonial destruido. Me quedo pegado observando. Es la fachada de Candelaria, una ermita y posterior parroquia frente a una calle del mismo nombre. Aún no se que será la primera de muchas ruinas que encontraré en la ciudad. Antigua ha sido víctima de más de un terremoto. Uno de los más impactantes fue el de 1773 que causó serios daños a edificios como la misma Candelaria e implicó la evacuación de la ciudad. Mi casa es la de Silvia Cazali, así lo anuncia la placa de loza junto a la puerta. Ella sale a recibirme y me invita a pasar. Aunque debo dejar rápido mis bolsos, es imposible no sorprenderse por la decoración llena de detalles, las dos fuentes en el patio, una de ellas representando el Génesis, y las ranas del baño en diferentes estilos y poses. Mi habitación queda en un segundo piso, debo subir una escalera de caracol, Silvia que está feliz de que podamos comunicarnos en español me avisa que los escalones son cortos y que cuide no golpearme la cabeza, agradezco la advertencia, aunque más de alguna vez la olvidé durante mi estadía. Es difícil subir la maleta, Silvia me dice: “Al menos es sólo esta vez y ya cuando te vayas”. Agotado, salgo a reunirme con los otros voluntarios. Vamos a desayunar, ahí conocemos detalles sobre la historia de GVI y los proyectos en los que están trabajando. Después al cofee shop que será el lugar de reunión de los voluntarios cada mañana y luego libertad para recorrer la ciudad. Adquiero primeras impresiones con ojos de turista: El mercado, una visita breve, los puestos son esencialmente de ropas y verduras, tres mujeres una sentada al lado de la otra en una coreografía amasan tortillas al interior de un canasto cubierto por un pedazo de genero. Las tortillas son fundamentales en la dieta diaria de los guatemaltecos. Luego visito La Calle del Arco, la más turística de la ciudad. Está llena de restaurantes y tiendas, los visitantes se detienen a apreciar y fotografiar los espectáculos locales: un mimo que hace reír con globos y acrobacias, una banda llamada Grupo Unión Musical que emite sonidos andinos desde dos enormes xilófonos al interior de un restaurante y la Agrupación Musical Cakchiquel, que haciendo honor a ese pueblo, tocan música maya y visten como tales, acompañados de un niño que baila sin parar. La Calle del Arco me conduce a la iglesia La Merced, afuera veo parejas de novios enmarcados por el amarillo y blanco de la iglesia, que entrega un aura de calidez a la plaza que la antecede. Es como la hija pequeña de La Catedral San José, una iglesia blanca, grande e imponente frente al Parque Central que en el centro de la ciudad ilumina las noches con sus haces de luz de sueño centroamericano. Un sueño que estoy empezando a vivir.

About enrique_nunez_mussa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.