Existing Member?

A quest to see the ends of the earth and return home in one piece "Dream like you'll live forever, but like you'll die tomorrow"

Day 2 and the drama of the Newby backpacker has started

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 15 January 2008 | Views [357]

Lake Pukaki. Absolutely the most amazing landscapes I have yet to come across

Lake Pukaki. Absolutely the most amazing landscapes I have yet to come across

Christchurch - Lake Tekapo - Lake Pukaki - Mt Cook/Aoraki

all in one days travel. i have already decided that to see the whole of NZ's sth island is going to be very difficult.

So much to see n experience and WAY too little time!

after being given the keys to the rental car and a few near misses in the city we hit the open road on a plan of a specific destination.... well we never kinda stopped there that night... instead already embracing the backpackers lifestyle we decided on a far more distant location Mt Cook.

the plan was to stay at Lake Tekapo but owing to the fact that the town was literally tiny, we stayed for the morning before continuing onto Mt Cook.

This was when i discovered the first problem...... I wanted to stop every 1/2 hr to take in the scenery, around every bend, over every rise was something else that i wanted to capture on film. Heaven knows how we made it to Lake Pukaki and then onto Mt Cook in the one day..... and fit in a trek to the Kea Point lookout.... but it was definitely worth it....

pity bout the cheap as shoes that i brought tho..... they definitely weren't worth it....... many blisters and pain will never let me forget this walk. And i'm only on day 2!

 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles, the great outdoors

About emmabb

My First Overseas Flight

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.