Existing Member?

Ramblings of a Clueless Student

After Uni Gap Year Travel...

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 January 2012 | Views [1115]

I’m drawing to the end of my university career and am counting down until the 18th of May when my dissertation will be handed in and I am free of essays. But then what?

 

A Master’s degree? Internships? A real job? As exciting as these sound I think I’d rather go away. Far away. For a while.

 

It’s not that I want to escape London, or even England. But I never took a gap year, so now seems like the ideal time to go somewhere spectacular. But I have no idea about where I want to go. So many people I have met over the last few years have told me of the time they had on their gap year: partying in Thailand, working in Australia, have their passport stolen in India, drinking with the locals on the beaches of the Cook Islands. The list is endless. But the one constant through everyone’s stories is the look in their eye that appears as soon as the memories come flooding back. I want that. I want to experience the world before it disappears!

 

The hardest part for me is choosing where I’d like to go. I mean, the world is huge! State the obvious I know, but attempting to pick one part, a handful of cultures is very difficult. Gap years can range from InterRailing around Europe to flying to the other side of the world and trying to pick one over another is hard. For instance, I want to go to Peru to see the Incan ruins, but I also want to visit Eastern Europe before its natural beauty is replaced by hotels and industrial estates, as well as wanting to unwind on the Caribbean beaches after my pesky dissertation is handed in. As much as I’d like to do all of the above in the next 12 months I think I’m getting a little ahead of myself as finically speaking (like most final year students) I’m a little tiny bit in debt!

 

So, while I’m meant to be studying hard, reading books about classical receptions, I’m going to continually refresh skyscanner.com, statravel.co.uk and various other travel websites in the hunt for bargain flights and accommodation. I am determined to enjoy myself as much as I can before I get a real job.

 

But why take a gap year? I’m applying for master’s courses for 2012/13 while I’ve told everyone that I’m not bothered if I get in or not, I’d love another year of studying books, and I’m actually quite excited about getting a job and my own place. Yet I want the year-off release from deadlines. A gap year, if you look at it literally, is a long summer holiday between one educational institute of stress and the next or, a last extended period of self-indulgent freedom before serving ‘the man’ and paying taxes. It's an announcement of the fact that you're only young once; so glory in it. I mean, why not? Why not have fun?

 

To help me (and possibly you) I’ve devised a list of the 5 places I’d most like to visit:

1.       Peru

      From amazing rainforests to golden beaches and majestic mountains, Peru seems to have all you could ask for, and most interestingly to me, landscapes untouched by time. The country’s intriguing and ancient history is scattered throughout the country and activities from trekking to relaxing are all an adventure here.

 

2.       China
From the wide open and empty panoramas of Tibet to the hustle and bustle of Shànghǎi, from the volcanic dishes of Sìchuān to beer by the bag in seaside Qīngdǎo. China has amazing food, an amazing history and an amazing culture. I want to see everything: the Terracotta Army, the Great Wall and the Forbidden City.

 

3.       Canada

      This might seem a bit odd; but the reason it’s on the list is that from the north of the country you can see the northern lights 350 days of the year: much more of a chance than in Iceland. As well as this, Canada has some phenomenal countryside. You can go skiing, snowboarding or road trip and see wild bears, moose, polar bears, whales and wolves.

 

4.       New Zealand

      New Zealand presents the world with outlandish scenery, fantastic festivals, impressive food and wine, and phenomenal outdoor experiences. You can be stood on a beach one moment, and on a glacier the next.

 

5.       Go InterRailing across Europe; finishing at a festival.

An InterRail pass it cheapest to those under 26. So make the most of it. It is a once in a life time experience. You can travel from rural Portugal to the busy city of Rome in a day. It is a brilliant scheme which allows for an incredible experience of the best of Europe. I’d love to travel around for a month, stopping in Greece, Italy, ending either at the Hideout or Garden festival in Croatia or Benicassim festival in Spain.

Tags: canada, china, gap year, inter-railing, peru, uni

About emily_mcd

At the Trevi Fountain.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.