Existing Member?

Ramblings of a Clueless Student

Iceland's Plans to Cancel my Holiday

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 26 August 2011 | Views [441]

So, my boyfriend and I were all psyched. A week on a little Croatian island; I have never been that far east and the thought of going to a country with beautiful untouched countryside and beaches which wouldn't be crawling with holiday makers (you know, the typical Brits abroad) made my stomach fill with butterflies, I was so excited!

So when Eyjafiallajokull decided to spill it's guts all across Europe 5 days before our holiday I was a little tense to say the least. Dreams of our boutique apartment and 5* hotel were slipping through our fingers.

In hindsight, it was pretty funny, a mad kind of desperation, thinking, oh the planes should just fly - I'm sure it'll be OK. That and for some reason, blaming Iceland for it's volcano, something I'm pretty sure they can't control!

As I spent the weekend hoping and hoping while the chances of our flight taking off looking less and less likely, I got upset. I mean really upset. I'd lost something I'd really wanted. However my boyfriend, being a boy and all, didn't seem to care. More the fact that the Premiere Inn at Gatwick were going to charge us the full amount of £29. How horrific!

So as Monday morning rolled around we began the process of cancelling everything and trying to reclaim our money. 'Dear airline/hotel/apartment/taxi...' I did find out that lastminute.com will try their best to hold onto your money while treating you like a moron so I guess that's something!

It was ok I guess - we went to Thorpe Park that week. Not quite what I had in mind for our first romantic getaway, but c'est la vie!

(Oh and I still haven't been that far east or stayed in a 5* hotel. So maybe I am still a little annoyed with Iceland!!!)

About emily_mcd

At the Trevi Fountain.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.