Existing Member?

In Tanzania This is for all my lovely friends, especially those who have helped me funding this once-in-a-lifetime-trip to a far flung place. Of course, there's no OBLIGATION to read it but for those who are interested....

final countdown

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 27 July 2008 | Views [365]

Right, here we are, just one more week to go. And I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I am very much looking forward to my washing machine, my hot shower, decent public transport (you can imagine how tragic the local one must be if I refer to the Manchester buses as ‘decent’) and other amenities. On the other hand I am quite sad having to leave this friendly little town, where people are generally really interested in helping you, showing you a good time; the pretty flowers everywhere, the fantastic simplicity of living and the relaxed atmosphere altogether. Well, but this is it – Africa fills me with mixed feelings. Even the weather has that effect… it’s humid enough to make you sweat but then a cold breeze provides a unexpected and really unwanted chill factor. So, you’re hot and cold at the same time. Which has resulted in my second chest infection during my stay. One that had me actually going to hospital for a check for malaria (it’s not) and other nasties. All they could find was AN infection. Now there’s a surprise. I’m better now tho, probably for knowing it’s nothing too serious.

So, hot and cold – I find the scales can tip rather easily from ‘totally enjoyable’ to ‘fucking infuriating’. Yes, it’s nice that people are so relaxed and the rules can be bent every which way – until you want that piece of equipment delivered this week so that you can open the shop. Or the creative interpretation f traffic rules – until you’re in a cab speeding down the Arusha highway, overtaking a daladala in a bend. Or the enthusiasm with which people want to make contact but then never show up for the arranged meeting. Or how little alcohol costs – but then to see how many people do have a serious alcohol problem.

The ease which with the locals seem to be dealing with everyday hardship – but to realize that it’s them who causes the hardship by simply accepting them. Ignorance towards basic hygiene and AIDS protection for example is high. I don’t know, it’s really hard to put my finger on it but there is something raw about this place. Something very genuine, honest, warm, lively, carefree, life affirming, uncomplicated. But to me it also seems that it’s exactly that that makes sometimes so unbearable. Not only for the westerner, I hasten to add as many people suffer tragically. But probably even more so for a mzungu who is used to comfort, rules and a working health system. So, there, I’m immeasurably sad having to leave but also looking so very much forward to coming home… Well, another week to drink it all in, ey? Remember, alcohol is cheap here!!!!!!!!

About ella_out_there


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.