Existing Member?

In Tanzania This is for all my lovely friends, especially those who have helped me funding this once-in-a-lifetime-trip to a far flung place. Of course, there's no OBLIGATION to read it but for those who are interested....

You better sit down for that one

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 27 July 2008 | Views [392]

…which will you be doing anyway, considering you’re reading this online. Anyway, I’d advise you to sit down as this is a truly astonishing and, sadly, very nasty one:

When you wonder through Moshi you see quite a few albinos. And to be fair, they can be a bit of a scary sight, just because it’s unusual. And the very right eyes are kind of haunting. But hey, you walk past and that’s that. Not so for Tanzanians. Or at least not for all of them. You realize how different a local’s perception of albinos are when you go the YMCA to find that there is a Centre for the protection of Albinos. Yup, they are an endangered species. Because, because, there is a superstitious belief that if you sacrifice an Albino (or any part of one) you’re wishes will be fulfilled. So, if you have just set up a business and you want this very business to flourish, you kill an Albino, cut of his hand or hair or leg and take it to a which doctor who will use the Albino part to support your venture. Albino babies are a big tragedy to the family and usually get killed off. Not for any ceremonial purposes but just because they shouldn’t be there in the first place. And it’s good business as many people can earn their share – one who finds the Albino, another one to kill him/her and take the needed parts and of course the which doctor. No, honestly, this is happening in this day and age. The situation is slowly changing, thanks to charities challenging the superstitions and setting up protective centers. But, still, it’s happening. In some aspects Africa is still a very dark continent….

About ella_out_there


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.