Existing Member?

In Tanzania This is for all my lovely friends, especially those who have helped me funding this once-in-a-lifetime-trip to a far flung place. Of course, there's no OBLIGATION to read it but for those who are interested....

back at the ranch

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 16 July 2008 | Views [618] | Comments [3]

Well, just in case you’re wondering if I’m actually working. Yes, of course I am. The trip to Tanga was totally necessary to recover from all the stress. Chasing after Tanzanian business men to come up with the goods is a precarious thing. You get easily insulted. And after 6 week’s waiting for something that should have been delivered 7 weeks ago you simply need a break. Well, ok, ok, it’s not that bad, but it’s rather easy to lose your rag here. I have to remind myself a lot of my friend’s advice to never show that you’re angry. But with the arrival of a new ‘project manager’ (a volunteer intending to stay for 6 months – lucky cow!) hopefully helps to speed things up and to pull things together. So, apart from the waiting game, things are moving along nicely. The girls are pretty good now with their sandwich preparation and their customer service skills. So next week we’ll tackle salads and, shock, horror, the coffee making. We purchased a dated espresso machine that could wake the whole street with it’s tremendous noise when foaming the milk. And then, if things go well, we’re planning a week of mock operation and then, this is the exciting but also the mean bit – the shop will open! Exciting of course because the project goes live. But also mean because I won’t be there. So maybe, if I stay another 2 weeks? No, no, it can’t be done. Don’t even think about it.

But then, I haven’t even started in the OT department, maybe if that goes really well? It’s good for my CV, innit? Nah, as much as I’d love to – money is running out and, yup, I admit it, I start to miss hot showers and my car and my cats and my friends!!!!!

So, in the meanwhile a few more pics for your entertainment. I particularly like the one of the dresses… you can see why I might like it here – no worrying about size 0!!!

Comments

1

Oh Ella, it sounds and looks beautiful at the beach. when only rain here you start to yearn for a bit of sun. Roll on my holiday but not til sept. Will have grown webbed feet by then. However, saying that is sunny right at this precise moment. Wonders never cease!!!
What a fab experience you have had, will set you up for being back at uni. (Sorry aboout the swear word!!)
enjoy the time you have left and will see you soon. xx

  helen Jul 21, 2008 6:52 PM

2

Hey Ella - I just love the photo! it cracks me up - i wish we could see shop windows like that over here! Sounds like you are having an very erm interesting, adventurous and amazing time, and i don't blame you for not wanting to come back. I've just been catching up on all your blogs - really great to read, more soon please! But also looking forward to catching up with you when you get back, xx

  sarah Jul 23, 2008 10:57 PM

3

Hi ella,
just a quickie to ask if its ok to forward the email with the links to this site to sarah bodell at uni. mentioned what you were doing and she was really interested to have a look. wanted to check before i sent it to her.
helen x

  helen Jul 25, 2008 7:48 PM

About ella_out_there


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.