Existing Member?

In Tanzania This is for all my lovely friends, especially those who have helped me funding this once-in-a-lifetime-trip to a far flung place. Of course, there's no OBLIGATION to read it but for those who are interested....

Where Africa is really annoying

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 4 August 2008 | Views [350]

So, there I was. all packed, all ready and quite eaqer to go home. I really have enjoyed my time here but I was also very ready for some normality, being able to walk in the city without being hassled and ready for a hot shower. I arrived well in time at the airport, not too many bags ect... BUT the lady at the check-in did not like my 'ticket'. Because I had extended my flight I had received a confirmation that actually said an e-ticket has been issued. So all I took to the airport was that piece of paper. But they wanted my paper ticket. Which of course I didn't have since the actual travel date had elapsed. So they told me no ticket, no travel. I'd have to buy a new ticket. Which would be easily available as I am already booked on the flights. SO, my seat was secure. And I really, really, really wanted to be home now. So I agreed, there and then, to buy a new ticket. Which would have been only to Nairobi and then I'd have to buy a new ticket for the second leg of the journey. Fine, fine, let's just get over with. Here's my card. Ah, yes, of course, you don't take cards. Sure, it;s an intenational airport but it's quite un-intenationally located in northern Tanzania. Well, let me pay you in Tanzanian shillings. Would have been a good idea had the cash machine actually worked! SO, no card, no cash. Teh lady found me a taxi driver to take me to the nearest hole in the wall. About 20 miles from the airport. And 1 hour before flight time. for an extortionate fee (I was in his hands) the driver shot down the Arusha highway, overtaking in blind bends and over hills and chasing any living being (that's pedestrians and cyclists populating the edges of the unlight road) out of his way. At that point I began to think its' probably better to fly at a later date but to still be alive! THe smell in the taxi was really bad - both of us sweating like mad from the white knuckle ride. Adn then we arrived at the machine which only offered me to check my balance. The taxi driver was so touched by my tears that he offered to give me the money for the ticket and I could transfer the money later into his account! But of course, the plane had left anyway and all I could do is grab my bags from the check-in desk (at least they were still there) and leave the airport building, only slightly cheered up by all the airport workers expresing their compassion.

The taxi driver then agreed to a ridiculous low fee to take me back to my hostel (via a cash point because of course I still had no money to even pay him). At least the drive back to \moshi was quite relaxed. And coming back to the hostel was like being back with my family.... I really could not have done with an anonymous hotel or anything like that. There was even some food left.

So, today I went to the travel agent, booked a ticket, brand spanking new for a brand spanking new price. But at least it's KLM (a civilised operator) and arriving in Manchester (at least in parts a civilised city) tomorrow, 5 Aug 10.35 terminal 2. I fanyone is free to pick me up I'd be delighted!

And this should be it from me in TZ. Just a few words to keep you amused:

keepi-lefti - roundabout

car washi - mhm, you might be able to work it out

milki, saldi and breadi, lunchi, weeki - same here

tax - taxi (the 'i' sounds so assimilated, apparently)

and now find the Swahili word for occtupus ...

I'll see you all very soon!!!!!

About ella_out_there


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.