Existing Member?

My travel tales

futbal jugador

USA | Monday, 22 September 2008 | Views [510]

It´s domingo and it´s 4¨45 pm. brinja´s a bit tired from taking care of all the kids today at the crisis center santo tomas while she was watching some of our girls play futbal against other some other girls from the next village. They had a referee and everything. I heard it was pretty exciting to watch but Lisa, one of our volunteers unfortunately made a goal for the wrong side. Getting to know Lisa of lately, i know she was pretty upset about that one. (she´s really competitive) Hehe, i heard she knocked a couple girls down because they were being too rough.

Anyways, I wasn´t there to watch the game because the boys (Casey, Aaron, and I) actually had a game of our own. There was a tournament going on and so had a local team at SAnto Tomas and they needed three mor guys so we decided to play. It was relaly fun, seemed like the whole village was there to watch the tournament. We paid a fee of 10 soles each, 3 soles is about the equivalent of a dollar, and we received a team jersey which i relaly like a lot. It´s a green futbal jersey. Anyways, the people on our team were very welcoming and we came up with a game plan and what our positions will be. I played the last line of defense which i like playing because i like to keep the other team from scoring. The game was a very good game going back and forth, where both defenses were great and the goalies had amazing saves. It came down to penalty shots, which was pretty nerve'racking, but in the end we won! everyone was relaly happy and some of the girls at the crisis center watched our game and were soo happy for us. It was great to be a part of a team and play with some of the local villagers and win my first futbal game! the tournament goes on for the whole month, so we will be playing our next game next sunday, and if we win that we´ll be in the championship. I´ve gotta start practicing a bit more.

Aside from sports, this weekend was a pretty relaxing one. I already talked about watching a movie in the jungle, and yesterday we went to the beach/zoo again. This time we got to see the animals with Aaron and Kelly (a married couple from walla walla that recently graduated). I love watching the animals and the zoo´s really nice. Oh, there´s this reptile section where a guy is holding a hugeeee snakeee, and he charges like a sole if you want to hold the snake and take a picture with it. I was too scared last week to hold it, but after Aaron and I watched Kelly hold it and then Brinja, we were like ¨oh man, i guess we have to hold it now since our girlfriends held it!´I was pretty frekaen surprised Brinja held it and it kind of made me feel like a pansy, so i sucked it up and held the snake for awhile and took some pictures. After i gave the snake back i was able to exhale and my heart started beating again. I´m never holding a snake again...unless i feel pressured. HAha. After checking out the animals Brinja and i took out a row boat on the lake, and again i love that feeling because it seirously feels like i´m on the discovery channel rowing through some jungle lagoon.

After the zoo we headed off to meet the other volunteers and have a godobye dinner for the director´s daughter Reisha. We ate at the Yellow Rose, which is one of the few american restaurants here in iquitos. We were able to get an appetizer, a main course meal, and a drink for 10 soles. That´s about 3 bucks! and yellow rose is one of the better restaurants too in town. Did i mention i will probably come back a lot fatter because i´m eating here so much? Then we came back home and watche dthe movie ¨´Don´t mess with the Zohan¨which had its funny parts, but iw ouldn´t recommend wasting two hours of your life on it. Do somethin better.

Well, i think that´s for now..i wonder if anybody is actually reading my stories. I can see how many would have stopped after the first paragraph. I´ll try making my stories and my logs sound more interesting, and keep it shorter next time...hopefully, until then adios amigos!

About eden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.