Existing Member?

My travel tales

Missionaries

USA | Wednesday, 24 September 2008 | Views [412]

Warning: This isn't a log of what I have been doing, but more of what I have been thinking about lately. Just a warning

If a teacher had to postpone a test for tomorrow, the teacher would know that he/she would only have to tell one student, and that one student would spread the good news to everyone. Eventually, the whole class would know about it. Why is it then that the greatest Teacher of the universe that has the greatest news of all doesn't get spread as eagerly as a student would to tell his classmates a test is postponed? Fortunately, in the trust given to the first disciples, believers in every age have shared.

I was looking at the peopleofperu.com website, and it has Brinja and I listed as missionaries. It struck me that I was a missionary. Every one who has received the gospel has been given sacred truth to impart to the world, shouldn't they? The more time I spend here, the more I realize how much we could share with the people here. Our money, time, supplies,and our knowledge of health and education are all essential needs for the people here in Iquitos to survive. However, the most important thing we can offer is Jesus' love and His word. We are indeed the light of the world.

I am reading a book called "Echo in the Darkness" by Francine Rivers, which I totally recommend, but there's a group of Jews who believe their knowledge of God and the benefits of salvation belong to only them, their nation. But Christ showed us salvation isn't a laser beam but like sunshine, it belongs to the whole world. Ellen G. White said that Christians that are such in name only are like salt that lost its savor, and through their misrepresentation of God they are worse than unbelievers. Unfortunately, many times I feel like I am a Christian just in name, and many times I live my life like that. Now the more I thought about it, but I believe there really isn't a difference between missionary and a Christian and that they go hand in hand together.

I have yet to speak of God or Jesus yet with any of the children or people here in Peru, but isn't that more important than me feeding them or taking care of them? isn't their salvation more important than their physical hunger? In the next few days I hope i can build the courage and strengthen my faith to do so. All this writing and thinking came from what the word missionary is and what it means to be one. I hope I am or become what God envisioned missionaries to be here in Iquitos, Peru.

About eden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.