Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Peru, an ancient civilisation

PERU | Saturday, 17 November 2007 | Views [531]

Cuzco in Peru is a pretty, atmospheric, historical town perched high 3500 meters above sea level.  Anything above 2000 meters above sea level can lead to altitude sickness and when Jonny and I arrived in Cuzco we instantly felt the pressure in our heads and a sickness in our stomachs.

One is advised to rest in Cuzco for at least 3 days before attempting any major activities.

It is no wonder the Spanish came in the 1500s but could not reach all the villages high in the mountains.  Perhaps that explains why Peru unlike any other Latin American country has retained so much of its original culture and traditions.

The Peruvians too, unlike any other Latin American country have a distinct look about them and have not mixed or lost their distinct appearance. 

One of the many traditions still maintained by the Peruvians particularly in Cuzco is the handicrafts, especially knitting.  On every street corner, shops, market stalls, you will find people trying to sell you their traditional authentic brightly coloured knit wares in mainly Alpaca or Lama wool.

Machu Pichu was the main reason why we visited Peru and although extremely stunning and a definite must see, Peru is full of forgotten and secret temples, ruins, cities, churches and monuments giving insight to an ancient civilisation.

Peru is so rich in history and culture, it is a country I will definitely visit again and recommend to my culture loving friends. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.