Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Amazing Amazon

BRAZIL | Saturday, 17 November 2007 | Views [494]

This was it, my ultimate test, the Amazonian Jungle! I had reached the time to tackle my ultimate fears head on and take the Amazonia challenge....
 
I have always been a scaredy pants when it comes down to creepy crawlies.  Before I left London, if I discovered a spider in my bath I just simply called my landlord to remove it, I could not possibly deal with such horrific circumstances. 
 
I kept asking myself then, how the hell was I going to survive this experience? How the hell was I going to maintain my sanity?  Why the hell am I doing this? I don't have to prove myself to anyone? 
 
I know plenty of girls who have arachnophobia but none of them would choose to stay deep in the Amazon jungle for a week, unlike me!

And to be blunt it's not just the spiders that petrify me, but of every living insect.  You name it, I hate it!
 
Every step closer to the jungle, I kept thinking perhaps there was a way out, perhaps I could just meet Jonny when it was all over on the other side?  I knew though, I couldn't do that.  I wanted to prove to myself I could do this.  For me it would be a personal achievement, some might say a personal sadistic achievement, but an achievement all the same!
 
After a three hour journey by car, boat, coach and canoe we reached our wooden lodges deep into the Amazon rain forest.  My wooden boudoir (not!) was complete with a bed and holey mosquito net and a separate toilet and cold shower, oh and not to mention the resident spider!! 
 
The light in the lodge only lasted for 15 minutes each evening and always went out as I  arranged the mossy net, leaving me in total darkness. The sounds outside were magnified to make me believe it was coming from just above my head!
 
The rustling sounds on the roof and ticking noises coming from the wooden panels, the sounds of monkeys and of birds, roosters’ cockadoodling all night long and cows mooing until the early hours of the morning, kept me from having any sleep.
 
The heat and humidity was unbearable, no matter how many cold showers I took I could not cool down.  The mosquitoes were fierce and relentless, making the environment harsh and difficult.
 
Our days were spent fishing for piranhas, which was really fun and highly addictive once you got a nibble, hunting for caimans, meeting and visiting the local river people and jungle trekking.
 
The jungle trek was the hardest trek I've ever done in my life, the heat and constant humidity made it difficult for me to keep up and my clothes were dripping with sweat after just an hour.  This is where Jonny ate a grub and pretended to like it!

When you are in such a hard environment it would be pointless for me to run away from every creepy crawly in sight.  I just had to deal with it and survive whether I liked it or not, I simply didn't have a choice.

The Amazon was my biggest challenge but I am pleased to say I made it out alive and quite enjoyed the experience.

I was the only female in the group and although I struggled at times I think I can say, I kicked some Amazon ass!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.