Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Kayak Catastrophe!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 20 August 2007 | Views [444]

I've always had a fear of drowning, I like the idea of doing water sports but if it’s anything else than swimming I can’t help but panic.

Everyone along our New Zealand travels have talked so much about Kayaking, I wasn’t really sure I would like it as my fear was taking over again. 

When we arrived in Te Anau, the closest town to the Milford Sounds, it seemed to be the perfect opportunity to give it a try.

I was advised by the lady at the hostel the best way to see Milford Sound is by Kayak as you “get up close and personal and almost become one with your environment.”

Sounds like the perfect way to experience the Sound so looks like I have no choice but to overcome my fear and brave up the courage to do this.

The lady at the hostel reassured me that she had never kayaked before but did Milford Sound with a group and she loved it. She said it was taken at her own pace and 'you get what you want out of it'

After her encouraging words we booked ourselves on a tour.  In the brochure it stated:

'Our Kayak safaris offer you the chance to experience one of the worlds scenic alpine roads in style, comfort and safety, sit back and relax in our warm mini bus...........lots of scenic stops, short rain Forrest walks....'

It sounded really nice and although still nervous I was raring to give it a go! We prepared our high energy lunch of vegetable soup, bread, nuts, chocolate and ginger beer and were picked up outside our hostel at 7.45am by our Kayak guide Fee.

As usual it was a bitterly cold day and we were looking forward to the warmth and cosiness of the minibus as described to us in the brochure. However this was the total opposite to the truth, there wasn't any heating on the bus and we sat for over two hours shivering from the cold, the only thing we could do was huddle up together to try and generate some body heat!

Not sure why but there wasn’t any scenic stops or rain Forrest walk’s either, how disappointing!

Fee picked up three more people and then 10 mins later we arrived at the base of Milford Sound. We were ordered by Fee to take our clothes off and put on the thermals and Kayak gear provided by her.

After finding out I was the only person who hadn't kayaked before I started to secretly worry that this was going to end up a disaster.

Fee pushed us all into out two people Kayak like an army drill instructor. I was at the rear and not only had to row with Jonny but had to steer the Kayak with pedals by my feet. My nervous tension started to grow within.

As everyone started to paddle like they were in the London Boat race, I realised there was already a problem. I could barely reach the pedals with my toes! I started to feel really inadequate that I had put Jonny and I far behind the others so soon on.

Fee rowed beside us to see what the problem was 'I think you've broke it!' she snapped but after a further fiddle she managed to move them in place 'thank goodness perhaps now we can get somewhere' she said.

After rigorous rowing and constantly trying to keep up with Fee and her partner 'Steve Redgrave' I thought to myself 'what the hell have I let myself in for?'

The Sound was amazing but I was too busy trying to paddle correctly and keep up with everyone. It seemed to last forever and my arms felt like they were going to fall off!

The Nazi Fee kept pushing us to paddle faster and faster, harder and harder. At one point I thought I heard her say 'come on you swine's, move faster!!' or was that my imagination playing tricks on me? Perhaps it was the fact we never had the opportunity to eat lunch but was expected to row for a solid four hours?

Jonny and I managed to gobble down a chocolate bar whilst Fee weren't looking but I don’t honestly know how we managed to do it!

It was obvious Fee was not impressed with Jonny and my Kayak performance and I felt pathetic in front of the rest of the group however if she hadn't swapped us round and put Steve Redgrave with me and Jonny with her I don't think Jonny and I would have made it back!

I found myself in one of the most beautiful places on earth but I was too busy focusing on the ores and trying not to focus on the pain!

When we reached the end my legs were like jelly and I practically fell out of the minibus and into my bed.

I can't believe the middle aged woman at our hostel managed to Kayak solid for 4 hours? Everyone in New Zealand must be made of stone?!

I was relieved the day was over; I found it extremely difficult to endure.  Think I’ll stick with swimming.

*One of my favourite scenic views was the drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound. I won't forget the Mirror Lakes, Homer Tunnel and Avalanche Valley.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.