Existing Member?

4Hands1World Touring the world, one massage at a time.

Why Travel? A treatise on leaving home.

USA | Sunday, 26 October 2014 | Views [378]

As this trip quickly approaches, (We leave in the morning!!) I keep thinking about my general and all-comsuming love of all things travel.  I think about my last trips, and my blinders-on approach to making sure they happened.  I think about those people who have no similar wish to travel, and I grow restless.  I read a quote recently about vacations.... how each trip means something different to each person, depending on the time of life, personal goals, personal struggles at the time.

Recently, here in Washington, it has been unseasonably beautiful:  warm, sunny fall weather.  I found myself thinking that I was going to hate leaving all of this when it was so pleasant.  Like I was wasting it somehow.  The last couple days though have been blustery and rainy, and significantly chillier, which is making my leaving much much easier.  

But I am not leaving on this trip to escape my life, though it will be a significant departure from my daily routines.  I have been to Thailand before, though not the area we are bound for this time.  It's mostly new ground for me.  I go for this Thai massage training, to deepen my understanding of my craft.  But it is also to share this experience with Aaron in a way that we have not travelled together before, both to learn and expand our understanding of our work and practice.  I look forward to reconnecting, because this past calendar year has been mostly about the preparation for the trip, i.e., work, work, work.  I feel that we hardly see each other.  I guess I'm travelling to regain a sense of my home in that way.  I have been so focused, in fact that now that the time has come to pack and depart, I find a part of myself not wanting to go at all.  How can I just walk away from what I've been so intent on all these many months??  It's all SO IMPORTANT!!!  I relish the thought of finding the thrill of true spontaneity again, turning a strange corner in a strange land and deciding to go left or right on a whim.  What crazy "street food" will we try, or lose our nerve to try?  Who will we meet?  What will we learn?  Who will we discover ourselves to be once again?

Ok, I'm excited again!!  

 

Tags: leaving home

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.