Existing Member?

Retired and Loving It

Fireflies and Cardinals

USA | Thursday, 7 June 2012 | Views [504] | Comments [1]

Each night we sit on the patio - surrounded by a cloth gazebo with black nets - attached to our friends house in Salina [pronounced Sal eye na].  We watch the antics of the many and varied birds feeding from the two enormous bird tables, the squirrels which walk the tightropes of the telephone wires and, as it gets darker, the many fireflies darting from place to place and lighting up the night.

Usually birds are in an aviary but it really feels as though we are in an aviary watching the birds!  The birds with the brightest plumage are the red cardinals [which are so quick it is difficult to catch them on camera] and we have seen oriels, collared doves and robins among many others.  They grow huge robins in the USA and they are akin to the size of our thrush.  I think I prefer our little dinky ones. 

We just love watching the fireflies and cardinals.

 

Comments

1

No more stories? Does that mean you are home again? Thank you for all the ones you have shared with us. I have really enjoyed them.
Jill

  Jill Armstrong Jun 18, 2012 7:11 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.