Existing Member?

Retired and Loving It

To Palm Springs and Scottsdale

USA | Monday, 30 April 2012 | Views [866]

A full day driving on the Interstate 10, the straightest road in the universe through all of Los Angeles and into the dessert and to Palm Springs although we are sure someone will tell us differently.

Great hotel, dreadful food; think the chef must have gone on holiday.

More driving the next day, again on the I-10 all the way to Phoenix and nearby Scottsdale, only two kinks in this interminably straight road through a most amazing desert landscape; we were fascinated all the way by the mountains, the huge Sequoa cacti, how green and how cultivated it was in places; it was not as expected.

We arrived at our hotel, the Westin Kierland, and were awe struck; it is massive, spread over many acres and has a golf course just outside.   There’s massive water features inside, some running down steps and when lit up at night look amazing.  The bathroom is fantastic as is the huge bedroom.

We took the shuttle to a fish restaurant [Ocean Club] where they served this amazing cold fish on a tiered stand all steaming cold.  Lemons were served in a net so that when you squeezed them the pips didn’t go onto the fish; they think of everything here!!  Diana had scallops which were 2.5 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick and absolutely delicious.  Malc had a huge piece of swordfish.  When we decided we couldn’t eat any more, the waiter announced that our Concierge Kevin had treated us to a dessert which turned out to be a most amazingly delicious warm sponge [whole one of course] surrounded by the most massive strawberries ever seen by us and a whole bowl of whipped cream.  Malc ate nearly half of it so wasn’t as full as he thought.   We brought a doggy bag back with us as we couldn’t finish it.

Tomorrow, both read the guidebook so what did we do?

Diana thinks:  must see the Desert Botanical Gardens and the shops and galleries in Old Scottsdale

Malcolm thinks: there’s a place at Chandler called Rawhide a western town set up like an 1880s frontier town with wild west live action ie shoot outs, must visit that.

REALITY

Botanical Gardens amazing but it rained.   Rawhide western town closed [sound familiar] Old Scottsdale fascinating.

Enjoy the pictures. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.